[Solved] Blank pages re-appear after deletion

Discuss the word processor

Re: Blank pages re-appear after deletion

Postby Zizi64 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:15 am

I want a couple extra spaces before a bold section heading, then a few more extra spaces before resuming normal paragraph spacing.

You must apply a different paragraph style for the Heading lines. There ere predefined heading styles (what you can modify as you want) or you can use your own Custom defined heading style. You can set the huge BEFORE SPACE value in the applied Heading paragraph style.
Spaces.odt
Different Spacing values in different paragraph styles.
(19.41 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

In other words: You must use more than one paragraph style in your well formatted documents. Maybe you need 4-5 different paragraph styles or more.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.1; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 am

@manoman: read the two documents to which I pointed you. You will save yourself and us a lot of wasted time. You should see that reading as research for the formatting of your work - I do not suppose you would require others to research the precise content of the document you are writing; why should you require others to research your formatting?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby musikai » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 am

John_Ha wrote:
manoman wrote:I have a document with 10 pages of text followed by 5 pages of illustrations.

If you have 5 pages of illustrations with little or no text you have almost certainly not anchored the images properly.

We already solved the problem with the badly anchored images. The thread now moved on to other problems.

John_Ha wrote:Or use Anchor to the Page.

Please, no, don't do this. This way the images won't move with the textflow (when the text on preceding pages might be changed) and will most certainly cause irritations.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/libreofficesongbookarchitect.html
musikai
Volunteer

SOLVED Blank pages re-appear after deletion

Postby manoman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks to all those who have helped me with this issue, it is now solved. My title of "Blank pages re-appear after deletion" was just a symptom of more basic misunderstanding on my part of how to write correctly in OO. A better title would have been "Please provide a simple explanation of how to use paragraphs and insert pictures". I appreciate and respect the experts on this site who donate their time to help others. OO is an excellent and versatile program, and is necessarily complex. My writing needs are simple and my ability to handle the complexities of OO is limited. I would summarize what I have learned here as follows, and it suits my simple needs.

Never use the ENTER key repeatedly to create paragraphs or extra spaces between paragraphs. Create a single simple paragraph style and use it exclusively.
To create headings between paragraphs use the same paragraph style but type in all caps and/or bold and/or color. I put all pictures after all text. At the end of all text, I press CTRL + ENTER to create a new paragraph at the top of a new blank page. After using a separate image program (MS Paint) to add all titles or text I want to include in the picture, I insert the picture in the OO document anchored to that new paragraph mark. If the picture is outside the margins or obscures the page number field, I shrink it to fit. Add additional picture in the same way, one picture per page. If future revisions require new text inserted (in the text portion, before the pictures), any additional text pages needed are automatically inserted between the text portion and the picture portion, and the pictures move on down the line. When I save and re-open, no blank pages appear.

Again, thanks to all who have helped me here, my writing project is very important to me and I could not complete without this help.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit
manoman

Postby manoman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Advice on this site is when an issue is solved, mark it as solved. How do I do that?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit
manoman

Postby robleyd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:05 am

How to tag a topic as solved.

In your first post, click the Edit button. Go to the subject line and add [Solved] at the beginning of the subject.

Then select the green tick as the Post icon (just below the subject line). Preview if you wish to see how it looks.
Finally, hit Submit - done!
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Previous

Return to Writer