[Solved] Color reverted to old format, can't change back

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Solved] Color reverted to old format, can't change back

Postby RocketUser » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Help. My laptop crashed mid-save (battery died!) and Calc has not been the same since. This was 4.1.6 but "updated" to 4.1.8.

The only three things that I have noticed (I don't have any free time) is that the color pallette is now the old (and very irrational) format. I use this to color cells ALL THE TIME. I need to those colors back. The other thing is when I started it back up after the crash, there was a new sidebar with tools that I don't remember from before. It might have been there once upon a time, but don't remember. This was easy to hide.
The third thing is that I am now stuck with my original file that is read-only. Can't modify it. No problem, I simply saved it as a new filename. BUT, the new file is slightly smaller than the the original. I wonder, did I lose anything? Oh, and yes, the temp file is still there, but is only 1kb and worthless.

Thanks!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Have been enjoying OpenOffice 4.1.6 and 4.1.8
RocketUser

Re: Color in Calc reverted to old format, can't change back.

Postby RocketUser » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Guess I should have also said that I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, including the newest version. STILL NOT WORKING!!! :crazy:
RocketUser

Postby Villeroy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Since you do not mention any operating system, it must be Windows. The directory %APPDATA%\OpenOffice\4\user contains all settings, global macros, extensions, dictionaries, color schemes and what not. You could restore the user profile from your daily backup. Oh, no. You are using Windows and therefore you don't run backups. So you have to restore all settings manually.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby RocketUser » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:24 am

Well, I deleted everything I could find related to "office". STILL NO LUCK!!!!

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
RocketUser

Postby RocketUser » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:34 am

Let me back up.

I uninstalled and deleted everything I could find......

Been a frustrating day.
RocketUser

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 am

So, are you back in business or not?
Rename your user profile (see [Tutorial] The OpenOffice user profile) and if you've lost too much customization, then try to copy some of the old folders to the new profile.

For the colors, you may have installed another version, see: [Solved] Smooth colors in OpenOffice.
LibreOffice 7.0.5 on Xubuntu 21.04 and 7.0.5 portable on Windows 10

Off-line, back on 16-May
Hagar Delest

Postby RocketUser » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:03 am

Not yet. Still attempting (with the limited time I have) to get it back to what it was.

And this is the only feature that I know about that changed.

Why isn't this working on a fresh install???? As advertised???

https://images.app.goo.gl/mrRnvyvm8xv6nepw7
NewPalette.png

P.S. Windows Vista here.

BTW- will attempt your suggestions, but still confused why Open Office doesn't have the fix or why it's not working like it did the last time.
RocketUser

Postby RocketUser » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:52 am

YES! I got it back!

All I had to do was carefully do an advanced search for anything called "office" and carefully delete the folders that came up in a couple places. Turns out there were still some things for Ver 3!

Anyways, after all THAT and reinstalling 4.1.8 (again!) it asked me to tell it about myself. This is separate from the install program where it basically does the same. THIS is what came up after the computer crashed, but NOT during my repeated install attempts.

So you guys were definitely on the right track. Don't want to sound conceited or anything, but this is exactly how I would have done it if I still had the time like I did when I was younger. LOL.

It took some advanced searching and careful deleting.

Thank you all! :bravo:
RocketUser

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting