[Solved] Put transparent pattern/lines over other pattern

Discuss the presentation application

[Solved] Put transparent pattern/lines over other pattern

Postby wenmartin » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Hello, been using Calc and Writer for years but have just found out that I could have a pattern background and then I could put a transparent sheet over it with lines in where I wanted. I have been trying but have NO IDEA how to do this. I want to have a Christmas paper pattern and then put a transparent sheet over with lines so I can print and then cut around to make small boxes with the pattern on. Hope this is clear. Many thanks.
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 4 Win10
wenmartin

Re: Put transparent pattern with lines over another pattern

Postby MrProgrammer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

wenmartin wrote:I want to have a Christmas paper pattern and then put a transparent sheet over with lines so I can print and then cut around to make small boxes with the pattern on. Hope this is clear.
I may not understand what you are trying to accomplish, but in Draw I added an image to the builtin Layout layer with Insert → Picture → From File. You may want to use Format → Layer → Locked → OK so that the picture is non-selectable. Then Insert → Layer → "WenMartin" → OK. Selecting WenMartin, I used the Drawing toolbar to create a rectangle and used Format → Area → Area → Fill → None so it won't hide the image. You can change the width/color of the shape's outline with Format → Line → Line. I made three copies of the unfilled rectangle, selected them all, and used Modify → Group to lock them together. Now, I can move the mouse pointer over this group until the pointer changes to a white hand. At that point, I can drag the group around over the image. Does this help any? Perhaps you don't need to group the rectangles — I wasn't sure of your goal. I'm not doing anything with transparency except using an unfilled rectangle. Format → Area has a Transparency setting, but I didn't use it.
202011171410.odg
(86.3 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

Draw Guide has detailed instructions for working with pictures, rectangles and other shapes, lines, grouping, locking, etc.

If you need additional assistance, attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). The upload limit is 128K so you will need to either use a small picture in your drawing or upload to a file-sharing site and put a link to that site here.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby wenmartin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:27 am

That seems so complicated to me but I just like to know things, every day a learning day even at 70 odd !!. I have scanned a sheet of Christmas wrapping paper onto PC and also a template of an opened out box. I want to be able to put the box outline onto the pattern so I can then cut out the shape so I can then make a little box. I know I could buy little boxes but thats too easy !!!!! Can send 2 pictures if you need. Many thanks and keep safe. Wendy
Open Office 4 Win10
wenmartin

Postby DiGro » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm

Wendy,

open the template with the outline of the box.
Form of the outline is probably be set up with the color white.
Click one of the lines of the form, then
select the whole form. (You can probably draw a rectangle around the whole form with the mouse to do that)

After selecting the whole form click with right mouse button and choose Area
Select Area tab
Change Fill to None
Click again with right mouse button and select Group

This should make the form transparent and make it one object

Choose Format, Page, then Background tab and change As from Color to Picture

In the dialog Browse to the picture of your Xmas-pattern and select that.

That should put your pattern underneath the outline of the box.
Decrease the margins to fit the pattern fully on the page

By right clicking a line of the form of the box and you can change the color of the line if it is not greatly visible

AOO 4.1.10 on Windows 10. Scanned with ZIGGO Safe Online (F-Secure)
DiGro

Postby wenmartin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Thank you DiGro, my daughter came yesterday and after much huffing and puffing she was able to show me how to do this, exactly how you said which I have copied and pasted for future use as well as you telling me how I can change the margins. I can now make a series of small boxes, from a template, with differfent patterns on to put small gifts in. Again, thank you and keep safe.
Open Office 4 Win10
wenmartin

Return to Impress