Understanding Numbering Style

Discuss the word processor

Understanding Numbering Style

Postby NKR8 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:07 am

Hello,

Please consider below contents of a open office document.

In this document, there are 4 headers with below style information:

Header 1:
1 Tags needed for other Reqtify-Tests :
Paragraph Style:

Header 2:
First Requirement
Paragraph Style:

Header 3:
1.1 Next chapter (should be 1.1)
Paragraph Style:

Header 4:
Second Requirement
Paragraph Style:

As you can see, there is no number assigned to Header 2 [First Requirement] and Header 4 [Second Requirement] even though it has outline level 9.
I suppose, this is because it has Numbering Style = None

So, coming to my question:
I want to find out the headers which has some outline level but also has Numbering Style = None
And I want to find this information from content.xml and/or styles.xml

However, I do not find such information in these two files.
I am attaching content.xml and styles.xml with this post.

Could you please point me the right way to identify such information from the content.xml and/or styles.xml?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
styles.xml
(59.95 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
content.xml
(21.04 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Operating System: Windows 10
NKR8

Re: Understanding Numbering Style

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:29 am

Please upload the whole ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.1; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby NKR8 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:32 am

OK. I am attaching the sample file.
Attachments
SYSSPEC_sol.odt
(38.16 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
OpenOffice 4.1.7
NKR8

Postby jrkrideau » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:08 pm

Woell, the reason that First and second requirements are not ne\umbered is that Style REQ_IDdoes not have Numbering turned on. See your screen shots and Numbering Style.

I cannot help with the rest

BTW why are you using manual formatting for the text such as Text Color [sic] Red
OpenOffice 4.1.6; Ubuntu 18.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby NKR8 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:18 pm

Hello jrkrideau,

Thank you for the reply.
I know that First Requirement and Second Requirement are not numbered from OpenOffice UI, because their Numbering Style is None.
But, I want to know this information from content.xml and/or styles.xml. This is my original question.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
NKR8

Postby RoryOF » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Then _you_ need to investigate content.xml or styles.xml with an XML editor, which will PrettyPrint the file for you. That makes extraction of the relevant formatting information easier.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby NKR8 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:53 pm

I think, you did not understand my first post.
I said that, I looked into the content.xml as well as styles.xml, but I do not find any style or property or such element which will tell me that First Requirement heading has numbering style with value None

What I see in content.xml and styles.xml for First Requirement is below:

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
<text:h text:style-name="REQ_5f_ID" text:outline-level="9">First Requirement</text:h>

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
<style:style style:name="REQ_5f_ID" style:display-name="REQ_ID" style:family="paragraph" style:parent-style-name="Text_20_body" style:next-style-name="REQ_5f_Info" style:default-outline-level="9" style:list-style-name="" style:class="text" style:master-page-name="">
<style:paragraph-properties fo:margin-top="0.1181in" fo:margin-bottom="0.0827in" style:page-number="auto" fo:keep-with-next="always"/>
<style:text-properties fo:color="#0047ff" fo:font-size="10.5pt" fo:font-weight="900"/>
</style:style>

Here, I do not find information about "Numbering Style = None"

There is a property style:list-style-name="" for <style:style> But, as per my understanding, this is not the indication of "Numbering Style = None"

I hope, you understood my question.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
NKR8

Postby Bill » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:33 pm

NKR8 wrote:There is a property style:list-style-name="" for <style:style> But, as per my understanding, this is not the indication of "Numbering Style = None"

To me, it looks like it does mean "Numbering Style = None". Apply a numbering style to REQ_ID and see how that affects styles.xml. The numbering style name should appear between the quotation marks.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:09 pm

I agree with Bill. The "" means no numbering style selected. If one modifies the style definition to apply a Numbering style, the"" is filled with the selected numbering style name.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Lupp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:37 pm

If you (the OQ) want to understand documents to be stored to ODF file types on a level addressed by your question, and to be able to analyze the .xml elements wrapped into such files, you can not much rely on the user interface of AOO or of LibO or of any software claiming to be capable of using ODF, among them MS Word e.g. The UI versions they use are not standardized at all, and they may name items the way they choose.

You will rather need to study and to understand the ODF specification itself. I don't. But if i needed I would look into
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/ ... -part1.odt, and very rarely I actually did. It's not child's play, imo.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.4 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Return to Writer