Printing a single tab spreadsheet, repeated via duplex

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Printing a single tab spreadsheet, repeated via duplex

Postby CraigG58 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a solution.

I have a single tab spreadsheet, and would like to print it on both sides of each sheet of paper (duplex flip up, not a booklet). For example, printing 50 copies of it would wind up on 25 pages. I can't seem to find a printer settings combination to accomplish this.

I know I could just make an additional copy of the single tab, but that would seem to be an awkward solution, and more importantly I'd also have to remember to do it every time I printed it to ensure the contents of each tab matched exactly.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated, thanks!
CraigG58

Re: Printing a single tab spreadsheet, repeated via duplex

Postby Zizi64 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:55 pm

I know I could just make an additional copy of the single tab, but that would seem to be an awkward solution, and more importantly I'd also have to remember to do it every time I printed it to ensure the contents of each tab matched exactly.

Use formulas on the second tab to referece the cell contents of the first tab.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.1; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RusselB » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 pm

I think Tibor misunderstood your question, as his response makes a copy of the contents of the first tab in a second tab, thus giving you a two tab spreadsheet where both tabs are identical.
I think you need to look at your printer, since not all printers have an easy method of doing a duplex flip.

If you can supply the make and model of your printer, I might be able to find and/or provide more information.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RoryOF » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:27 am

If one is using a duplex printer there are two settings: on /File /Print, General tab, the Properties button allows one to select single sided or duplex, and the side on which to flip the paper. The /File /Print, Page Layout tab allows one to select to print even or odd sides, or both (needed if printing duplex). This latter tab exists even for single sided printers, to allow the paper stack be flipped and re-fed for printing the second side.

Best to play with a small sample file, or you may waste a lot of paper until you become familiar with printing duplex.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby CraigG58 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:59 pm

I don't think I was clear enough either, sorry about that... :ucrazy:

The printer I'm using is an HP Officejet Pro 6970, but I don't think that has any bearing on the situation. I'm well familiar with its options for printing in duplex, booklets, etc. and use them all the time.

The issue is, I can't find a combination of settings to repeatedly print a one-page spreadsheet on both sides of the paper. When duplex printing and multiple copies are selected, only one side of each sheet of paper is printed on, presumably because there's only one sheet to print.

Anyway, the only solution I've found so far is one that I've already mentioned which works, but isn't very elegant, that being to copy the tab before printing. Then, Calc realizes there's more than one sheet to print, and selecting duplex and the number of copies I want works fine.

I wouldn't mind using a formula to maintain an identical copy of the spreadsheet on a 2nd tab automatically, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing that. The copy would need to be exact (row heights, column widths, fonts, colors, borders, embedded pictures, the whole smash), just as if I manually made a copy of the original, 1st tab.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
CraigG58

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:11 pm

I wouldn't mind using a formula to maintain an identical copy of the spreadsheet on a 2nd tab automatically, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing that. The copy would need to be exact (row heights, column widths, fonts, colors, borders, embedded pictures, the whole smash), just as if I manually made a copy of the original, 1st tab.

Yes you can reference the cell contents only. The formatting must be copyed, or - if it is some permanent format, you can use a template with preformatted sheets.

Or you can create your own "Print" menu item: a macro can copy the whole content of the original sheet (together with the formatting properties) onto the second sheet, before the print command will be launched by the macro.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.1; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Why print the same text on both sides of the sheet? This only makes sense if the page is not full and the text on one side falls over a blank area on the other side.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby CraigG58 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:36 pm

It makes sense in this case, since it's a game score sheet.

The print-outs are 3-hole-punched, then placed into a notebook. Printing them in duplex “flip over” mode allows the same piece of paper to be used for the next game by flipping it up and over to the other side, consuming half the amount of paper and notebook space.
CraigG58

Postby RoryOF » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:24 am

That explanation makes sense. The easy way is to use /File /Print : Page layout tab, set for Right pages only, print 25 copies. Now invert the stack (or not - may depend on your printer's feed method), change /File /Print : Page Layout tab and select Left pages only and print 25 copies again.

You will need to experiment with a single sheet test to find if you must invert your paper stack or not; this depends on whether your printer prints on the front or back of the page. You may need also to wait for the printed stack of paper to renormalise after printing so that the curl goes out of it to allow it feed easily

Edit: When there were only single sided printers and I had to print a book, I used print right pages one day, left pages the other. It was sometimes helpful to place the loose paper stack in a kitchen or bathroom (where there was moisture in the air) for some time before printing the other side to allow it normalise and flatten. 
RoryOF

Postby CraigG58 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks for the advice Rory, I appreciate it.

After thinking about it for a bit, making a temporary copy on another tab then printing in duplex normally seems to be the easiest way. After printing, I simply don't "save" the spreadsheet.

Again, thanks to all for your suggestions!
CraigG58

Postby RoryOF » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:39 pm

If you are likely to print again, why not leave the second copy in the Saved file?
RoryOF

Postby CraigG58 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Because the 1st spreadsheet tab (let's call it the "master") may have been updated since it was last printed, and I need to ensure the 2nd is identical to the master.

I came to the conclusion it's not that big a deal... After updating the master tab and saving the file, it only takes a few seconds to copy it to a 2nd tab, print in duplex, then not perform an additional save which would of course contain the copy. If I leave that 2nd copied tab in the file, it would be too easy to forget to delete and copy it once again. Thus, not saving the file at that point eliminates that possibility.

Anyway, I would think that's much easier that writing a macro to take care of it, or manipulating paper in a printer that's already capable of printing in duplex.
CraigG58

Return to Calc