Line notation for Geometry course

Discuss the formula editor

Line notation for Geometry course

Postby anjutama » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello, I am a math teacher and I need to write proofs with line names, which is AB with a two-sided arrow on top. I can't find a way to do it. There are instructions how to write AB with an arrow on top, but that it a vector or a ray, but not a line. Thank you!
OpenOffice 3.4 on windows 8
anjutama

Re: Line notation for Geometry course

Postby MrProgrammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

anjutama wrote:I need to write proofs with line names, which is AB with a two-sided arrow on top.
I will guess that you are asking about the Math feature of OpenOffice (File → New → Formula). Sorry, but I don't see a two-sided arrow in the list of formats. If this is a requirement, perhaps other software will better meet your needs. Writer (File → New → Text Document) also provides various overline styles, but none are a two-sided arrow.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby John_Ha » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Format > Character > Font effects adds a line.

Clipboard03.gif

Look at the Math package of AOO or LO. File > New > Formula.

Windows allows you to write mathematical formulae with Start > Accessories > Math Input Panel.

Clipboard05.gif

Google for maths fonts. Latex is excellent for math formulae. There are on-line sites for math formulae like Online Mathematics Formula Editor

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Lupp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 pm

(Off topic)

I'm also a math teacher (Germany), now retired for more than a decade, but I cannot remember to often have read mathematical texts containing the notation for straight (unlimited) lines you described. Starting with texts (transcribed) from ancient Greece lines defined by two points were denoted by simply putting the two one-letter-point-names side by side. As an example "AB x BC = B if A, B, C not are collinear" should tell the obvious. (When I wrote a paper where I wanted to denote the operation of joining two given points A and B by a straight line g explicitly I used "A..B = g".)

Where and since when is the notation described in the question common or even mandatory?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.2 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Postby anjutama » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:00 pm

@Lupp Different notations are used in Europe and America. In the USA, the line is denoted by a double-sided arrow above, and a line segment by a line above. Since I write this for school aged kids, I need to keep the notations as they are used in the textbooks here.
OpenOffice 3.4 on windows 8
anjutama

Postby John_Ha » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:12 pm

John_Ha wrote:Latex is excellent for math formulae.

... and the add-on amsmath supports double-headed arrows. See Typesetting arrows above a pair of letters to indicate a line

Clipboard01.gif

The brute force and ignorance AOO method is to use the Draw component of Writer to add the arrows or create an image of arrows and add it above the letters.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Math