Hide Sidebar via Registry

Discuss the word processor

Hide Sidebar via Registry

Postby lesjarvis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi there,

I am looking to deploy OpenOffice 4.1.7 as a replacement for the Microsoft Viewers on hundreds of Windows 10 machines. I am able to get Writer docs to open in View mode using a registry kludge but I would also like to know how turn off the Sidebar using the registry (or some other method) so that it is off by default when the user first opens their document. I would also like to bypass the first start wizard where you have to enter a name on initial startup. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Les
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Pro
lesjarvis

Re: Hide Sidebar via Registry

Postby RoryOF » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:37 pm

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 pm

If you are installing on hundreds of machines you should be aware that Apache OpenOffice is effectively no longer being developed.

You may wish to install the actively developed LibreOffice which, like AOO, is a fork of OpenOffice.org, and is very similar.

Look at Tools > Customise > Events ..., where you can cause things to happen when AOO/LO starts, opens a file, saves a file etc.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:33 pm

This is not a Windows program. It does not store any internal settings in the Windows registry. You can pass some flags to the program call (which is what you might have done through the registry), you can run macros on load, you can manipulate the program's XML registry (which is platform independent) and you can roll your own distribution packages with everything preconfigured.
I agree that LibreOffice is far better suited as a document viewer for MS file formats.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby lesjarvis » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks for the great information. I actually started with LibreOffice but opening in view mode causes a blue banner to appear at the top giving the user the option to edit the document. OpenOffice view mode was cleaner, except for the sidebar. I will go back to LibreOffice and see if I can figure out how to turn off the blue bar.

Thanks again!
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Pro
lesjarvis

Postby John_Ha » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:00 am

You can untick View > Sidebar in AOO or LO to prevent the sidebar.

I don't get a blue banner when I open LO.

Configuration changes are stored in the user profile in registrymodifications.xcu.

1. Stop AOO or LO.

2. Rename C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\registrymodifications.xcu to registrymodifications.xcu_OLD

3. Start AOO or LO.

You now create a new clean default registrymodifications.xcu. Does the blue banner appear? If so, please post an image of it.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:48 pm

John_Ha wrote:You can untick View > Sidebar in AOO or LO to prevent the sidebar.

I don't get a blue banner when I open LO.

Blue banner when opening a read-only file. There might be something in the expert configuration to supress it.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto von 2019-12-07 20-43-43.png
Bildschirmfoto von 2019-12-07 20-43-43.png (28.46 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:07 am

lesjarvis wrote:I am looking to deploy OpenOffice 4.1.7 as a replacement for the Microsoft Viewers on hundreds of Windows 10 machines.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of some problems which may arise including content not being displayed.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer