Error Report Tool UI for AOO 4.1.7

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Error Report Tool UI for AOO 4.1.7

Postby nosivik307 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Hello,

I recently had a "bad allocation" crash on Writer and was able to recover everything, but was unsure if I was successful in sending out a crash report. I tried to find some sort of UI example of the dialogue boxes in the crash reporter, and was able to find a detailed document published by OO for version 2.0, but nothing more recent (if you search "OpenOffice.org Error Reporter UI Specification" online, it is an .odt file that is usually in the first few results). The direct link is http://www.openoffice.org/specs/appwide/errorreporter/error_report_2_0_ui_specification.odt (it will automatically open as a .odt)

I remember getting to a point where a "Show Report" button was visible that would show me a copy of the report, but I don't remember any spaces to write additional information or clicking any "send" button. I think at that point the dialogue box may have closed automatically, or perhaps I clicked "skip" or something similar and it closed. The "Error Reporting Tool" under the Help section of the application is a lot less specific than the old UI specification document I found, but seems to indicate that a "send" button had to be pressed.

Does anyone know if there is a version of that UI specification sheet that is applicable to 4.1.7 or equivalent, or could explain to me how the dialogue boxes flow on the Error Reporting Tool?

Thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on 64bit Windows 10
nosivik307

Re: Error Report Tool UI for AOO 4.1.7

Postby RusselB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Welcome to the Forums.
The proper way to report bugs and/or make suggestions for improvements/enhancements is detailed in [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
As that file is for the 2.0 version, which is now extremely old, I have my doubts as to the applicability of that document.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby nosivik307 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 am

Thanks so much! Will reference that for the future.

Is it possible that the in-application reporting tool was removed completely? I did a little more digging before you responded and it seems that people were talking about that in earlier builds of 4.0, and that the help section itself contained outdated info.
nosivik307

Postby RusselB » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:45 am

Definitely a possibility, but without looking at the actual code and knowing where to look, or knowing that this was a listed change (which I don't recall seeing), there's no way to know.
Even if the code for the reporting was present, it might be in a block that has been remarked...so the difference could be as little as two lines of code.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby nosivik307 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 am

Wow, looks like it was removed way back at the release of 3.4.0 as per the release notes:
https://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.0.html

There's probably still some lines of code in 4.1.7 that allow the dialogue to come up, but that explains why it then exited mysteriously on me. Interesting. Might be something to consider seeking out to remove in future builds to avoid confusion. Just wanted to follow up and send you documentation.

Thanks again. Cheers!
nosivik307

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting