[Solved] Automatic Alphabetical Index?

Discuss the word processor

Postby reiner.au » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 am

Is there an easy way to create an alphabetical index based on headings like for the table of contents? My book has the table of contents, which is relatively easy to generate but to create an alphabetical index at the back of the book? In the first instance it will be quicker for me to copy the table of contents and sort it separately - I don't want other entries anyway.
Last edited by reiner.au on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows
reiner.au

Re: Automatic Alphabetical Index?

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:52 pm

See Chapter 12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies in the Writer User Guide. Come back if you get into difficulties trying it.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date AOO Writer for Students and the Writer User Guide. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby reiner.au » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:38 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention I already looked in the manual and searched everywhere I could find. The manual just goes through the standard steps of creating the alphabetical index and then manually adding items. Searching is complicated by "manual", "index" and "alphabetical" being words used in a lot of different contexts.

Nevertheless I wasted more time looking at some of those links provided. And I'm sure I've forgotten to mention some other detail so will get another proforma reply but it seems to me its not possible to automatically generate index entries like happens with table of contents.
reiner.au

Postby RoryOF » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 pm

At each main Heading used in the ToC /Insert /Entry choosing Alphabetic Index; Copy/Paste the Heading text from the document to the Insert Index Entry window, Entry box. When you have done a few of these, move to the end of your document and /Insert /Indexes and Tables : Alphabetical Index just to check that all is working, or try out on a small sample document. You may have to fiddle a little to get everything as you would like it.

Edit: you can quickly select the entire line of the Heading style you are using by a triple click. Then remember to Ctrl C to copy it to the clipboards. Click in the Entry box of Insert Index Entry and Ctrl V to Paste it, and press the Insert button to insert the index marker for that item. 

Edit: The Help file says
Level Entries using the paragraph format "Heading X" (X = 1-10) can be automatically added to the table of contents. The level of the entry in the index corresponds to the outline level of the heading style.

This option is available only for table of contents and user-defined index entries.

So you could do this automatically using a User-Defined Index.

The problem I see is that the User-Defined index is in entry order in the document, not alphabetical order. I can see no switch to alphabetise it.

Later: this extension should sort the user-defined index
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/user-index-sorter 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby reiner.au » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:44 pm

RoryOF wrote:So you could do this automatically using a User-Defined Index.

Thanks heaps - that did the trick. I went to create a custom index and selected the heading levels I wanted to use through the "Styles" option.
reiner.au

Postby John_Ha » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:22 am

reiner.au wrote:Sorry, forgot to mention I already looked in the manual and searched everywhere I could find. The manual just goes through the standard steps of creating the alphabetical index and then manually adding items. Searching is complicated by "manual", "index" and "alphabetical" being words used in a lot of different contexts.

As you can see the solution - a user-defined index - is described on page 349 of the Writer User Guide in Chapter 12 Tables of Contents, Indexes, and Bibliographies.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer