Text to column issue

Discuss the word processor

Text to column issue

Postby Howard Mathieson » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:57 pm

I am down loading allot of text records.
I am using the text to column feature which requires me to reset the column width with each new download. This is not an issue as each initial data set column width is different. My issue concerns the default setting in the Data to Column module. The default is set to "separated by". Therefore each time i use DC feature i have ti reset it to fixed width.

I have even tried to create a macro for this issue but as i need to reset the width each time in will not let me stop recording a maro while in the DC module which i have to do to reset the uniqoe column widths
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
Howard Mathieson

Re: Text to column issue:

Postby RusselB » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:16 am

Welcome to the Forums.
The default "separated by" selection is due to the fact that, most data coming into a spreadsheet using the Text Import Dialog or using the Text to Columns (same dialog, really) is data that has a common separator, rather than all of the data having the same maximum length.
I don't know if changing that, then saving the document with the change, then making it a new template would work or not.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby Howard Mathieson » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:40 am

I’ll just have to live with it as each download has a different number of blanks between text. Thanks!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
Howard Mathieson

Postby RusselB » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:12 am

If blanks are being used as a separator, then you can choose the space option for the column separator
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:31 pm

A possible problem with using columns is that text flows from the bottom of the left column to the top of the right column so if you make add or delete any entries your formatting gets lost.

I would either use fixed tabs as in the image below, where I set left tabs with Format > Paragraph > Tabs; or use a table, where I set the cell borders OFF.

Use a regular expression to replace the separating spaces by tabs.

If you direct us to the web site (or upload a few dozen lines of text as you downloaded it) we can give better advice.

Clipboard05.gif
Attachments
tabs and table.odt
(14.12 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer