[Solved] Formatting a book-chapter titles need anchoring

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Formatting a book-chapter titles need anchoring

Postby nite hawk » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:44 am

I admit that I am a newbie when it comes to book formatting, and I am sure that it is due to being a newbie that I am having problems..
I try to put a chapter title at the top of a page, and often when I come back later on to work on it, it has moved either onto the previous page, or often has slid down the page somewhat and is no longer at the top of the page, or jumped from being aligned in the center to the left hand side...I am also having a few issues with the picture wrap, as I am used to MS-word "wrap right--wrap left" and am not seeing that in open office..
I wrote in a very old version of Microsoft word, (97) and was having problem so am trying a different word processor--Apache open office 4..
I have been working on this now for weeks and am very frustrated, and would appreciate any advise..
thanks..
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Re: Formatting a book-chapter titles need anchoring

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:15 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you upload a sample file (see: How to attach a document here)?

Have you used page breaks before your titles (Ctrl+Enter)?
There are wrap options in AOO also, just right click the pic (except if it has been anchored As character).

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby RoryOF » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am

When I use chapter titles in a book, I use paragraph style Heading 1; I modify its definition so that, on its Text Flow tab it inserts a page break (in my case a Right Page or a Chapter Page - a page style I have modified from Right Page style) immediately before the Heading 1.

You need to read

[Tutorial] Page numbering

[Tutorial] Page styles and headers/footers
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby RoryOF » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 am

Same query also at
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/218624/is-there-any-way-to-lock-a-chapter-title-to-a-specific-page/

After _all_ modifications have been made to a text, it is essential to update the Table of Contents; this is not dynamically updated as the text is edited.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby nite hawk » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 am

Thanks for the replies,
I tried to format in Libre, and it wasn't working so I put the document into open office to try it there why there is another question in libre..
So what I am thinking people are saying is that if you put a "heading 1" in place it will stop the chapter title from moving around... Am I understanding correctly??
Will take a look at the tutorials that are recommended..
Thanks for the replies I have been "pulling my hair",
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:52 am

nite hawk wrote:So what I am thinking people are saying is that if you put a "heading 1" in place it will stop the chapter title from moving around... Am I understanding correctly??

Depends on how you configure the style (Heading 1).
Hagar Delest

Postby nite hawk » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:29 am

I tried to upload a picture of what is happening, but the "upload button" said the file was too large. I was told that one method of putting a "heading 1 " in place was to highlight the title and click "heading 1".. well I tried that, and it pushed the bottom of that chapter onto the next title page and shoved the title partway down that page....--, so that didn't work, so I am back to checking out the next method..
Hagar Delest---you said that it depended on how I configured the heading 1 whether it would "anchor" the title page to the top of the page and prevent "jumping"
I am "all ears"... sorry --I am definitely a newbie..
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am

If you configure the Heading 1 style with a page break before (Text flow tab), the the title will always be at the top of a page.
I think that you're trying to save in an external format (RTF or .doc perhaps) and that the import/export gives some troubles eacj time.
Make sure you save in native .odt. Don't use enter to create blank paragraph to adjust the position in pages.
The upload is limited to 128kB here. Upload a sample file instead of a screenshot. Or crop the screenshot to show the relevant area only.
Hagar Delest

Postby RoryOF » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:52 am

There are many works on formating long documents in either OpenOffice or LibreOffice; the "Writer for Students" reference (2nd URL) is relatively brief.

See the file referenced in this posting for an overview
Structure Instructions

This document may also be informative:
Writer for students (several languages)

This document covers much the same ground as the previous document. It will be helpful for those writing a book
http://documentation.openoffice.org/whitepapers/Creating_large_documents_with_OOo.odt

Bruce Byfield's new book, Designing with LibreOffice, also covers Apache OpenOffice. It focuses on the use of styles and templates, mainly in Writer but with some info on Calc, Impress, and Draw.

A PDF of the book, and/or a zip file of the chapter ODTs, can be downloaded free from the book's website. If you prefer, you can buy a printed copy. http://designingwithlibreoffice.com

Another work on writing and formatting a book in LibreOffice is
To Tame a Writer

For Macs, there is much useful information in
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283
RoryOF

Postby nite hawk » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:34 am

thank you so much for all the replies.
Hagar Delest---pardon my ignorance, but I am not familiar with page breaks---how does one make one and what do they do?
thanks!!
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:09 am

See page 23 of that document:
RoryOF wrote:This document covers much the same ground as the previous document. It will be helpful for those writing a book
http://documentation.openoffice.org/whitepapers/Creating_large_documents_with_OOo.odt

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
Hagar Delest

Postby keme » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:16 am

nite hawk wrote:thank you so much for all the replies.
Hagar Delest---pardon my ignorance, but I am not familiar with page breaks---how does one make one and what do they do?
thanks!!
The document Hagar linked to explains the procedure to fulfill your stated requirement.

A brief general overview which may help you to relate to page breaks:
  • Normally a "soft page break" is automatically inserted when your content reaches the bottom of the page. It opens up a new page to provide space for your following content.
  • In some cases a soft page break may be inserted in seemingly unnatural places. Typically this happens when Keep with next, Widows/orphans or Do not split paragraph format settings are effective.
  • You can insert a "hard page break" manually. Menu item Insert - Manual breaks..., select page break (and other optional settings) and click OK
  • You can also do this through paragraph formatting. Select menu item Format - Paragraph... and the Text flow tab. The Insert - Manual breaks... menu item is simply a shortcut to this format setting.
  • If you want to have every chapter heading start on a new page, you edit the Heading 1 paragraph style so it Inserts Page break Before the heading.
Note that manual paragraph formatting (as by the third bullet point above) will override paragraph style settings. You can remove manual formatting by ctrl+M (or use the first item in the Format menu).
keme
Volunteer

Postby nite hawk » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:59 am

I think I have it... I went to the page BEFORE where I have my title / chapter---Clicked at the bottom of the page, then went to-- insert--manual break--ok---Then went to the chapter title--highlighted it and chose the heading that I wanted for that chapter..
Sorry this is a new learning field for me..
thanks for your replies..
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Re: [Solved] Formatting a book-chapter titles need anchoring

Postby RoryOF » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:28 pm

I suggest adjusting the main style definition for the Chapter heading, be it a numbered chapter heading or merely a chapter title. On the Text Flow tab of that definition (possibly Heading 1?) in the Breaks section check "Insert" checkbox, type Page, position Before, check "With Page Style" and choose the Page Style you wish for a new Chapter - mine is cunningly called "ChapterPage", which is a Right Page with no page header and the page number in the footer (one should define the ChapterPage style before altering the heading style). In the heading paragraph style definition you should also change the font, font weight and alignment to suit your design.

To commence a new Chapter, all I then need to do is enter a chapter title, and apply the style definition (Heading 1?) which will cause a new page with the chapter title appropriately formatted at the start of it.
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Formatting a book-chapter titles need anchoring

Postby John_Ha » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:16 pm

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date AOO Writer for Students and the Writer User Guide. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer