[Solved] In need of some guidance with split db

Discuss the database features

[Solved] In need of some guidance with split db

Postby gkick » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am

Hi,

Apart from the primary objective to have the data separated from the gui app in some safe environment, I also seem to recall from ancient Access days that the secondary objective is to be able to provide users with new frontends whenever they need another report, query, macro etc without disturbing the actual production environment.
If I recall correctly in Access there was is an option to unlink/relink tables to the frontend.

Now Base seems to be a little different. How does one supply a new query via remote, email for instance as sending a modified frontend contains tables overriding the production ones.
Copying the various objects from the dev db to the client db is only possible if onsite and using an oldfashioned dos batchfile doesnt do the trick either with objects embedded within the db container.

So the question is how do you update a life split db and would the process be different if the backend runs in server mode?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Last edited by gkick on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libre Office 6.4.6 on Windows 10 HSQL 2.51 backend
gkick

Re: In need of some guidance with split db

Postby UnklDonald418 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 am

See if this is what you need.
[Tutorial] Standalone Forms / Switchboard
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Postby gkick » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:28 am

Thank you for your quick response. I went down this road early in the project but abandoned it because the menu form consists out of several table controls all having different datasource and as such throwing up multiple authentication prompts prolonging an already slow startup.
Apart from that I am led to the belief that freestanding forms limit some macro functionality needed for automation aspects but
certainly worthwhile to consider for plain vanilla type forms.

cheers
GK
gkick

Postby Villeroy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:03 pm

I run a split HSQLDB with a server process on a server machine and with the odb file, form documents and spreadsheets on multiple clients. I keep a "master copy" of the client files in a shared directory. When anything needs to be changed on the client side, I copy the files from my personal laptop to the shared directory and then a simple xcopy script copies the files to the client machines. Just keep the paths and names consistent, so all the desktop links and history items remain intact.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby gkick » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 pm

Thank you!
gkick

Return to Base