[Solved] Simple Mail Merge

Discuss the database features

[Solved] Simple Mail Merge

Postby rob75 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:30 pm

HI,

I am attempting to run a simple mail merge - printing some labels from an xls spreadsheet. I have read severla threads and tutorials but I don't seem to be able to get it up and running. I have registered by xls file as base source.

If I go to Options -> Libreoffice Base -> Databse -> Registered Databases

I can see my xls file listed under "Registerd Databases".

If I then go to File -> New I do not see "Database" as an option, bu most guides I read mention that I sohuld be able to see this. Alternatively I can select

File -> New -> Label

I can see the databse is listed as my file, but the fields is empty and it is not clear what I should do next:

The table drop-down list is empty. Am I missing a step?
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tag as Solved
Openoffice 4.1.7 Win10
rob75

Re: Simple Mail Merge

Postby John_Ha » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:34 pm

rob75 wrote:I am attempting to run a simple mail merge - printing some labels from an xls spreadsheet.

See Chapter 11 - Using Mail Merge in the AOO manual - the LO manual should be similar. You need three things:

1. A spreadsheet with the data
2. A database file which must be registered. It provides the interface to the data.
3. A text document with fields to accept the data. Get it by File > New > Labels.

As a new poster you will find much useful information, including how to do a Mail Merge, in the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages. The LO manual should be similar.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the AOO manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Fields is empty because you did not select a table.
A database is a collection of tables. When a database is connected to a spreadsheet, the used range of each sheet is shown as a table.
Each table has a collection of fields (columns).

When you select a database name, the tables box shows the names of availlable tables.
When you select atable name, the fields box shows the names of availlable fields (columns).

The first 2 lines of a table in a spreadsheet named "Sheet1" list may look like this:
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Name  ZIP  Address
Carl Barks  D2317 Dagobert Avenue

The first line of a list contains the column labels the subsequent lines contain the actual list entries.
If "Sheet1" is the table you want to use for the labels, then choose the database table named "Sheet1" and then the fields ("Name", "ZIP", "Address") you want to have on the labels.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby rob75 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:40 pm

Please help - I don't understand how this can be so challenging.

My .xls data source contains two rows, the column headings and a single address row. When I select the headings under "database fields" the labels seems to have been populated with the headings and not the address?

What am I doing wrong?
Openoffice 4.1.7 Win10
rob75

Postby RoryOF » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:07 pm

Try toggling /View /Field Names
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Villeroy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:46 pm

Simply go on. The tags <Name> etc. are just place holders. The actual data are loaded when you are going to print that thing.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby rob75 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:22 pm

If I print to PDF I don't see the address data but I do see the heading ...

<firstname> ...etc
Openoffice 4.1.7 Win10
rob75

Postby Villeroy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Do not export to PDF.
Print the file.
Answer the question about printing a form letter with "Yes". Form letters and labels are technically the same.
Now you get a dialog where you may filter, select and/or sort the input data (database rows) and where you can choose if you are going to print to a physical printer or to a file.

If you have a virtual PDF printer installed print to that printer. If not or if unsure, print to a regular office document, open that one and export to PDF.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby rob75 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Ok I solved it, I had to run a repair on the install and choose to install "Calc" which looks as if it may have only been partially installed previously. Despite this I had the "Calc" options available in Writer under options which was where I was setting my data source, albeit incorrectly.

Now I am able to print form my source as required - many thanks!
Openoffice 4.1.7 Win10
rob75

Return to Base