[Solved] HSQLDB migration message

Discuss the database features

Postby anciv » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:23 am

Is it possible to avoid the migration message from HSQLDB to FIREBIRD at Base startup ?
This just to wait until Firebird is cleaned from bugs...
Thanks a lot in advance.
Win 10 - LibO 6.3.1.2
Last edited by anciv on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anciv

Re: HSQLDB migration message

Postby Villeroy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:06 pm

The only way I know is a conversion to external HSQL which also gives you a better database. You extract the embedded HSQL and connect the Base document to that external database. The resulting database is more stable than the embedded thing, you may use it with a recent database driver (the driver for embedded HSQL is of 2006) and you may even run it as a service for multi-user access.

For easy conversion you can download and install the Python macro from viewtopic.php?f=21&t=86071, make a backup of your document, open the document and run the installed Python macro.
The macro will create a database directory with database files in the same direcotry where the document resides and connect the document to the files in the database directory. The database connection will use the same old HSQL driver as the embedded database. For an HSQL upgrade (which works smoothly in most cases but not always), you create a directory "driver" and put file hsqldb.jar from a recent HSQL package into that directory. The macro will detect that file and connect your document with the driver and the extracted database files.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby anciv » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Villeroy
Thank you very much for your answer.
I still need your help. I've tried to follow your excellent instructions, but something went wrong somewhere. The database seems to be created, the Python macro is installed in the user profile, but it can't be run in the document as the commands are greyed, so I can't go beyond Usage 3 item.
anciv

Postby Villeroy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 am

menu:Tools>Macros>Organize>Python is greyed out in LibreOffice 6.3 on WIndows 10?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby anciv » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:32 pm

No, Python is not greyed, and that's why I don't understand what happens...
Note on configuration : MacPro 2013 - Mac OS High Sierra - Parallels V15 - Win 10 everyday work - Win 7 test machine with Libo 6.3
anciv

Postby Villeroy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Sorry, I can't see what is greyed out on your computer and what not.
Calling Tools>Macros>Organize>Python gives you a dialog like the one in the screen shot.
Under "My Macros" > pyDBA > ExtractHSQL you find the "Main" routine. Select that and click the [Run] button.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto von 2019-09-27 14-01-01.png
Python macros dialog
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby anciv » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:15 pm

I finally considered giving up my old Win 7 test machine and setup a new one, and now everything work as explained in your post.
The reason for doing so is the base I develop will be installed on a Win 7 machine.
Now is time for me to thank you very much for the time you spent on my problem.
LibreOffice 6.3.1.2 on Windows 10
anciv

Return to Base