[Solved] Openoffice Draw

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] Openoffice Draw

Postby decal maker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:21 pm

I use draw as my go to program for making custom decals for Hobbies,and noticed that my files were ending up way bigger than they should be,so here is what is happening
make any word say Locomotive ,use outline tool ,then convert to curve, double click to work on individual letters ,there are now 9 copies of each letter, so I click delete each one until i have only 1 copy left. any way to correct this, I have used 3 different computers ,same result.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OPENOFFICE 4.1.2 ON windows 7 Pro
decal maker

Re: Openoffice Draw

Postby acknak » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:40 am

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

I've not sure what's happening, exactly, but converting text to a curve just makes one copy for me when I convert directly (no outline tool, whatever that is). I just select the text object and do Modify > Convert > To Curve.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby decal maker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Type "test" select format character / font effects/check outline box /ok. Next convert to curve, now take the outlined word select it and double click it ,you can now select a single letter, delete that letter and see if it remains, if it does than do it again ,there will be 8 or 9 copies stacked .Do not try the whole word just individual letters in the word.

Text edited - turned all caps (= shouting) to sentence case, and added spaces for readability, floris v, moderator
decal maker

Postby floris v » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:48 pm

Confirmed, but that probably doesn't make up for a file size increase. I suppose that the real increase is simply in converting to a curve, which probably results in something less efficient when it comes to size.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Postby decal maker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:57 pm

it sort of does when you have a full A4 sheet of outlined wording for a print out to an ALPS thermal printer,just was trying to figure out if maybe a setting was off making it happen.very time consuming when trying to make a buck doing decals. the spool time to the printer for a full sheet goes from a few seconds to over 4 minuets.
decal maker

Postby floris v » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:09 pm

That may have to do with how the printer deals with text or graphics. You can be very sure that printers will be optimized for printing text. With graphics it's all different. I found that printing a simple form with mostly straight and parallel lines was very hard for my printer, but plaint text is printed quickly.
If you want to play tricks with fonts, and print the result a lot, it's maybe better to get font design software and make your own custom fonts, derived from existing ones.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Postby decal maker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:30 pm

I modify fonts using Draw, much faster since i'm already working in Draw ,but most of my work is done using 1 or 2 of my 14,000 font library. to view my example
www.edscustomdecals.com
decal maker

Postby floris v » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:35 pm

You missed the point of my comment. Maybe you can modify the shape of text easier in Draw than in a font editor, but your morphed text is then printed slower than when you had used a special font.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Postby acknak » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:50 pm

decal maker wrote:Type "test" select format character / font effects/check outline box /ok. Next convert to curve, ...

Is it necessary to include the outline step?

I don't know what that does internally; all I know is that Modify > Convert > To Curve will give you the outline of the text that you can easily edit and is very efficient for storage or printing. If you need to render text as an outline, you can try changing the line thickness.

PS: The outcome may also depend on the exact font you're working with. I don't know if there are still bitmap fonts around, but there could well be "vector" fonts that are calculated conversions from bitmap fonts. Such fonts could contain far more data in their letter shapes and may not convert to outline or shapes well at all.

PPS: You asked about posting a video: you'll have to upload it to some video sharing site and then paste a link in a post here.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby decal maker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks ,i didn't notice that after converting any font to curve the outline is turned off by default, that solved my dilemma as to the program making 8 copies.
decal maker

Return to Draw