[Solved] Want to draw diagrams, have rudimentary questions

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] Want to draw diagrams, have rudimentary questions

Postby Narayan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi There,

I have some queries I hope people will be able to help with.

1 - Can you tell me how I make the default setting of my Draw projects landscape?

2 - When adding text to a connector line, how do I make the line blank where the text resides (so it isn't scoring it out)?

3 - Is there a way to make the text inside a box (/on lines) shrink/grow with it when I resize it.

4 - Is there a way to make the existing objects in a diagram move automatically when new items are created, so the spacing between items is (roughly) even, or doesn't overlap?

Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Narayan

Re: I want to draw diagrams, I have rudimentary questions

Postby keme » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Narayan wrote:Hi There,

I have some queries I hope people will be able to help with. ...

People here are able to help with some of those queries, and advise about the rest. If you clean up your post, someone may even want to ;-)

What I'm talking about?

Adding a screenful (or so) of empty space tells us that you don't really care about "screen real estate" (which may be important when someone tries to respond, trying different options in a Draw window to see what works, while simultaneously keeping your question and their answer at hand in a browser window).

Adding a hundred (or so) of alarm lights without explaining why you are in such a hurry (or why this is so much more important than everyone else's requests) just comes out as disrespectful (at best).

... moving on to help someone else now...
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby acknak » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Narayan wrote:...
1 - Can you tell me how I make the default setting of my Draw projects landscape?

Change the settings you want.
Save the document as a template (File > Template > Save ...)
Set that template as the default for Draw (File > Templates > Organize ...)

Tutorial (for writer; the steps are the same for all OO applications):
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... =71&t=1161

2 - When adding text to a connector line, how do I make the line blank where the text resides (so it isn't scoring it out)?

Not that I know of. I find the connectors more trouble than they're worth except for the simplest cases.

3 - Is there a way to make the text inside a box (/on lines) shrink/grow with it when I resize it.

Sorry, no.

The only workaround I know of is to convert the text to some kind of graphic shape. That will scale optically but is no longer editable.

For example, Modify > Convert > To curve, or copy the object(s) and paste special as metafile.

4 - Is there a way to make the existing objects in a diagram move automatically when new items are created, so the spacing between items is (roughly) even, or doesn't overlap?

Again, no. Not automatically. You can use Modify > Distribution ... to evenly distribute the selected objects.

Time for crude images.

Wot?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Narayan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:19 pm

acknak wrote:

Change the settings you want.
Save the document as a template (File > Template > Save ...)
Set that template as the default for Draw (File > Templates > Organize ...)

Tutorial (for writer; the steps are the same for all OO applications):
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... =71&t=1161

Not that I know of. I find the connectors more trouble than they're worth except for the simplest cases.

Sorry, no.

The only workaround I know of is to convert the text to some kind of graphic shape. That will scale optically but is no longer editable.

For example, Modify > Convert > To curve, or copy the object(s) and paste special as metafile.

Again, no. Not automatically. You can use Modify > Distribution ... to evenly distribute the selected objects.

Time for crude images.

Wot?

Thank you very much.

I tried the spacing by selecting all objects but I didn't have much luck with that as it seemed to make most overlap rather than space them evenly. It seems like it's operating some sort of shape related hierarchy.

Thanks for your help.

I just liked the look of the alarms. When you were used to only having small number of smileys, ones like that are strangely appealing.
Narayan

Postby keme » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:36 pm

I tried the spacing by selecting all objects but I didn't have much luck with that as it seemed to make most overlap rather than space them evenly. It seems like it's operating some sort of shape related hierarchy.

"Space evenly" does not use extra space, it just spaces selected objects evenly within the "bounding box" of those objects. IOW, the left- and rightmost objects will not move sideways, and the top and bottom objects will not move vertically. If the objects are different sizes, and the small ones have space around them while the large ones overlap, you can use the "spacing" option to distribute free space evenly. If you still get overlapping, you need to manually increase the space used (by moving one of the outer objects away from the others).
keme
Volunteer

Postby Narayan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:46 pm

Thanks!

I have been trying to make up mindmaps for Bjj and this software is great, rather than paying several hundred dollars for mindjet.
Narayan

Postby keme » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Yes I agree, the flexibility and set of options makes Draw a good choice for creating nicely laid-out maps.

If you want to take notes from lectures, meetings etc. in mindmap format, Freemind is faster to work with. Also, it does auto-placement like you requested and provides a dynamic (interactive, structure-aware) map which may be better for live presentations.

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/in ... /Main_Page

There are other similar apps which are "development forks" from Freemind, with improved formatting options, but the ones I tried are not as smooth to work with as Freemind itself. (Lacking a few shortcut keys, and noticeable lag when typing.)
keme
Volunteer

Postby Narayan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:20 am

Even better. Brilliant. Thank you very much! Is that picture of you or a famous actor. If it isn't you definitely have a lookalike.

People who help people for free on internet forums are unsung heroes.
Narayan

Return to Draw