Squaring up photo of a painting

Discuss the drawing application

Squaring up photo of a painting

Postby Lorna P » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:54 am

Hi, I am an artist. I take pictures of my paintings. They need to be squared up - to perfect squares or rectangles. Is there a simple way to do this? I tried converting the photo to a polygon, adding and moving points, stretching out the irregular shape. But after I cropped, it still was not a true rectangle. Thank you for your help.
:D
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Lorna P

Re: Squaring up photo of a painting

Postby acknak » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:02 am

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Hmm ... I think this is a job more suited to an image editing program, something like Gimp or Photoshop, rather than OO Draw.

OO may do part of the job; an image editor will be a lot more powerful & flexible.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Lorna P » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:22 am

Thank you! I know it can be done in Photoshop by means of a Marquee rectangle, moving to position and cropping - I just read a blog post on how to do that. But alas, I do not have Photoshop. I appreciate your comments.
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Lorna P

Postby MrProgrammer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:25 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

GIMP can easily crop an image to any desired dimensions. It is an excellent program. This was developed as an open source project, and it is free. There is a version for windows.

Edit: If the problem is perspective distortion, GIMP's Tools → Transform Tools → Perspective or Tools → Transform Tools → Cage Transform may help. Their forum is GIMP Forums

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby keme » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:05 am

It is probably less work if you avoid perspective distortion from the outset. Make sure that your camera is pointing squarely towards the face of the painting. (the back of your camera and the canvas should be parallel surfaces).

This assumes that you do paintings on canvas, paper or other "loose material". With e.g. wall or pavement paintings I understand that this may be difficult, perhaps impossible in some cases. Tilt/shift lenses may help, but they are rather expensive and take a bit of learning to use them properly.
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Return to Draw