[Solved] Rows Height problem

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

[Solved] Rows Height problem

Postby Koskha » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello, im new in the forum :)
I'm here because I have a big problem... I'm a programmer and my software is writing directly into an OpenOffice's .RTF file some values that I load from a DataBase and I need to save, print etc using OpenOffice.
So when I write my data into the rtf file it's all OK (I have one page with an Header, a footer and a big table in the middle 6x27), I must use only one page and can't use another. So when there is a lot of datas for example a name of 32 characters the cell do an autosize and the table turns bigger so it doen't fit more on a page. Is there a way to lock cell sizes, overflowing the text out (turning it "invisible")?

Sorry for my bad English,
Thank you in advance
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Koskha

Re: Rows Height problem

Postby RusselB » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:51 pm

While this doesn't directly answer your question, and I admit that I'm not aware of a way of doing what you're asking for, I would like to point out that OpenOffice does not handle .rtf (Rich Text Format) files very well.
The usual recommendation is to suggest that you use the Open Document Format, which, for writer, is .odt
This may help with your problem, but I don't know.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby Koskha » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:22 pm

RusselB wrote:While this doesn't directly answer your question, and I admit that I'm not aware of a way of doing what you're asking for, I would like to point out that OpenOffice does not handle .rtf (Rich Text Format) files very well.
The usual recommendation is to suggest that you use the Open Document Format, which, for writer, is .odt
This may help with your problem, but I don't know.

It's too hard to implement my code to work with .odt files because the file structure is different and encoded in ways i don't know.
If there isn't a way to do it in rtf I have to do a lot of work.
So if someone knows how to do it please reply to this topic. Thanks :)
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Koskha

Postby musikai » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:17 am

I'm also not sure what exactly you need but in OO you can set the Row to a fixed size and to not autoadjust. If the cell overflows it will be shown with a little red arrow.
I saved this as rtf and then again opened this rtf and this settings was still intact. So theoretically you should be able to find the corresponding part in the rtf if you look at it in a text editor.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/libreofficesongbookarchitect.html
musikai
Volunteer

Postby Koskha » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:40 am

musikai wrote:I'm also not sure what exactly you need but in OO you can set the Row to a fixed size and to not autoadjust. If the cell overflows it will be shown with a little red arrow.
I saved this as rtf and then again opened this rtf and this settings was still intact. So theoretically you should be able to find the corresponding part in the rtf if you look at it in a text editor.

That's esactly what I need, how can I set fixed size to the row?
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Koskha

Postby keme » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:45 am

Koskha wrote:... how can I set fixed size to the row?

• Right click in the table row and select Row - Heigth... in the context menu.
  • Enter the heigth you need, and untick the auto-adjust box.
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby musikai » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:08 pm

Yep, as keme explained.
I already was going to go in in the footsteps of Sherlock Holmes creating different documents and searching through the differences when Watson told me to better read the instruction leaflet.
So you should find the solution in Microsofts own specs:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=10725

Therin search for "Row Formatting". I suppose the switch is:
\trrhN

example: \trrh-567
explanation:
Height of a table row in twips. When 0, the height is sufficient for all the text in the line; when positive, the height is guaranteed to be at least the specified height; when negative, the absolute value of the height is used, regardless of the height of the text in the line.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/libreofficesongbookarchitect.html
musikai
Volunteer

Postby Koskha » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks to all, I made it doing Row->Height, unchecking the auto-size box and then set a fixed height :D
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Koskha

Return to Advanced Uses