Default formatting, static background, keeping resolution?

Discuss the drawing application

Default formatting, static background, keeping resolution?

Postby Smokeless Joe » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:28 am

I'm a noob, so lotsa questions:

I'm trying to create artwork for a card game. The cards are poker size (2.5 x 3.5 inches). I've got a great background image for the cards, but...

Whenever I open the 2.5 x 3.5 inch background image, Draw puts it in the middle of an 8.5 x 11 inch page. I can modify the page size and remove the margins, but I'd like to be able to just open the picture without all the extra stuff around it by default.

I'd also really like the background image to stay still and not be selectable. I'm always accidentally selecting the background and moving it so it no longer aligns with all the text fields I've added.

Finally, I can't get the image to save at the same resolution I opened it. Draw wants to save it in .odg format, which is not supported by ArtsCow (for printing the cards). I can export the images to other formats, but I always lose resolution like crazy. The original .png image is 750x1050 (perfect ratio for 2.5x3.5 cards), but saving it in .odg and exporting back to .png gives me a 257x360 image. Ouch!

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

-Joe
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Mac OS 10.10.3
Smokeless Joe

Re: Default formatting, static background, keeping resolutio

Postby Mr.Dandy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 am

The best way to investigate your issue is to provide a sample ODG document.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 - Windows 7
Mr.Dandy

Re: Default formatting, static background, keeping resolutio

Postby acknak » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:35 pm

Here's the "quick & dirty" way to handle it:

File > New > Drawing ...

Insert your image: Insert > Picture > From File ...

Resize to the size you want:
Select the image, then Format > Position & Size > Position & Size: 2.5" x 3.5" OK

Add some text, or whatever, but all object boundaries must be within the boundary of the background image--nothing can hang out over the edge of the image, even if it's not visible.

Export to a new image:
Select all the objects for one card. File > Export, Selection: YES; Format: PNG (or whatever) ... click "Export".

Now you should get a window that allows you to set the output resolution to whatever you want.

If this process works for your situation, then we can talk about how best to manage the details.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Draw