[Solved + Issue] Can't insert Glue Point to object

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved + Issue] Can't insert Glue Point to object

Postby adventuneer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:00 am

I must be missing something rather obvious, so I'm sure just about anyone can point it out for me... All I want to do is add a glue point to a rectangle, but nothing happens when I click on the "insert glue point" button. The "glue point relative" button appears to be permanently selected but I can't select any of the other buttons. I have the rectangle selected in my drawing, which is what I think should be done. The strangest thing is, the glue point toolbar did work for a brief minute, and this was the result of be clicking on everything a bazzilion times. I have not been able to recreate the secret sequence and enable the glue points... Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I have tried different Draw documents, new documents, different computers... The only thing that has remained the same is ME! Oh, now I get it - the problem is me! Thank you for your assistance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
adventuneer

Re: Can't insert Glue Point to object

Postby acknak » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:26 am

This works for me:

1) Create a rectangle
2) Click the "Glue points" button on the Drawing toolbar: the Gluepoints floating toolbar should appear.
3) Click the "Insert Glue Point" button on the Gluepoints toolbar. It should remain "depressed" (darker) while the function is active.
4) Make sure the rectangle from step 1 is selected. If all the planets are aligned properly, the mouse cursor should become a criss-hair when the mouse is over the rectangle.
5) Click on the perimeter of the rectangle. Clicking anywhere else de-selects the rectangle and cancels "Insert Glue Point" mode. You should see a new glue point, selected, where you clicked. You can delete the glue point with Del, or click it with the mouse and drag it somewhere else.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby adventuneer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:59 am

Aaaaaaaaaahhhh. The solution was simple, but the problem persists and is reproducible - unless y'all don't view this as a problem. I was adding the Gluepoints toolbar to my workspace first: View | Toolbars | Gluepoints. From here I was simply clicking on the Gluepoints toolbar buttons and nothing would happen. The secret was (and is) that even though you have the gluepoints toolbar visible (docked/undocked/doesn't matter), it won't do anything unless you click on the gluepoints button on the DRAWING toolbar first (this toolbar is visible by default). Clear as mud? In fact, if you hide the drawing toolbar AND the gluepoints button was NOT selected, you won't be able to do anything with the Gluepoints toolbar. Except look at it, dock/undock, move around... But that gets boring after about 1.5 minutes.

Problem solved. If I had a vote, and I don't, I would say make the gluepoints toolbar active regardless of the drawing toolbar status.
adventuneer

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:18 am

adventuneer wrote:If I had a vote, and I don't, I would say make the gluepoints toolbar active regardless of the drawing toolbar status.

Of course you have: just submit a report asking for that: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs.

I tag the thread as Solved (you can remove the tag if you don't agree).
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Can't insert Glue Point to object

Postby acknak » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:29 am

The toolbars are a mess--on top of a bad concept, IMO--but they aren't going away, so there's little point in making a big deal about it.

This looks like the issue to vote for: Issue 78728: Draw - "Insert glue point" would not activate if toolbar is called via View - Toolbars - Glue Points.

You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.

I don't know why the GP mode and the GP toolbar don't behave the same as the "Edit points" mode/toolbar.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: [Solved + Issue] Can't insert Glue Point to object

Postby arthurpgoldberg » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:46 pm

@acknak
Helpful! Thanks, never would have figured glue points out without your "This works for me".
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Mac OS X 10.13.4 (as of July 2018)
arthurpgoldberg

Return to Draw