Ctrl-End goes to unexpected cell

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Ctrl-End goes to unexpected cell

Postby jallan32 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Sample Schedule for Debugging.ods
I made a copy with personal details erased. The file has two sheets, but the second sheet only has columns A-I, Ctrl+End goes to J(last row), and does not scroll, since there is slack space to select that cell. So it seems to be a universal bug in Ctrl+End.
(25.6 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
I have a similar but not identical problem. I built a spreadsheet using columns A-N, currently holding 143 rows. The entire print range of columns A-N fits within the window. Ctrl+Home works correctly to go to the top left cell, A1, but Ctrl+End insists on going to the bottom row, one column too far, that is O143 (or the current last row). This causes unwanted horizontal scrolling that puts column O in the center and columns A-H not visible, so to position the actual last cell and see the full last row, I have to press Home, then End.

I tried selecting the cell and deleting all contents including formats and objects as recommended (although the right click menu does not have a "Delete Contents" option; I had to use the Delete key instead), with no result. I even selected the entire column O and doing the same, but still no effect. The program still thinks there is a "valid" cell outside the print range on the last row, but only on the last row; the End key on any other row goes to the cell in column N.

I know this is a "nit," but if anyone knows how to tell the program that there are no valid cells in any column beyond N, please suggest something.

Thanks,
Allan

Edit: Split from Ctrl-End ends up on bogus cell 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "I have a similar but not identical problem" → New topic
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows 7
jallan32

Re: Ctrl-End ends up on bogus cell

Postby RusselB » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Use View -> Normal
In Normal mode, Ctrl+End works as expected in your file.
It appears that Ctrl+End goes to the last line with entries, but one column beyond when in Page Break Preview mode.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: Ctrl-End ends up on bogus cell

Postby jallan32 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I keep all my spreadsheets in Page Break Preview mode so I can see when pages are added, But I don’t really need it on this one all the time. I’ll try that out when I get back on the computer.
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows 7
jallan32

Re: Ctrl-End goes to unexpected cell

Postby MrProgrammer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:52 pm

jallan32 wrote:I built a spreadsheet using columns A-N, currently holding 143 rows. The entire print range of columns A-N fits within the window. Ctrl+Home works correctly to go to the top left cell, A1, but Ctrl+End insists on going to the bottom row, one column too far, that is O143 (or the current last row).
Observation: if I un-merge cell J143, Ctrl+End goes to cell N143, as expected.
The difficulty may be related to Issue 17332 - print range not draggable if ending together with a merged cell. Or not.

jallan32 wrote:the right click menu does not have a "Delete Contents" option; I had to use the Delete key instead
You can also use application menu Edit → Delete Contents.

RusselB wrote:In Normal mode, Ctrl+End works as expected in your file.
Using AOO 4.1.7 on MacOS 10.14.6 with the attachment in the first post, fn⌘→ (my equivalent to Ctrl+End) goes to O143 in both Normal and Page Break Preview.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Return to Calc