[Solved-kinda] HorseRacing game in OO. Is it possible?(YES!)

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved-kinda] HorseRacing game in OO. Is it possible?(YES!)

Postby wontaskmanyquestions » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Id like to build a scaled down version (one without all the statistics and stuff) of this horse racing game at https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... owS4E8maOI

I'd like to know if its possible, in open office, to get these kinds of movements the horses make (which look like icons moving cell to cell), at the speed they do, and if so, can you give me some ideas on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by wontaskmanyquestions on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.2, System 7
wontaskmanyquestions

Re: Horse Racing game in OO. Is it possible?

Postby RusselB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Welcome to the Forums.
Technically what is shown in the video should be possible in Calc, however, it looks to me like a lot of macros were written and used, and I have no knowledge of the Google Sheets macro language.
It may, or may not, contain options that the OpenOffice macro languages do not. OpenOffice can accept macros in different languages (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, & Javascript)
No matter what, this would not be an easy task, as the various macro codes would have to be written, incorporated, tested, & fixed until everything was done.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby John_Ha » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:31 pm

If the thing you want to copy is done with Google Sheets then do it with Google Sheets and you know it can be done. It's free.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby wontaskmanyquestions » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm

RussellG you may know nothing of Google Spreadsheets macro language but you still have me beat. I've never even heard of Google spreadsheets :)

John_Ha, good idea. But unfortunately...well...what I said to RussellB!

Thanks for your replies, I'll go have a look at google spreadsheets now for the first time.
wontaskmanyquestions

Postby RusselB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 pm

The basic spreadsheet has not changed much in the past 40-50 years. I started using spreadsheets around 1980, and, for the most part, they are still the same.
The primary design is for them to work as an arithmetic calculator. They can be used for other things, with help...sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.
Often, when someone goes to use a spreadsheet for something other than as a calculator, there are other programs that are better suited for the task.
A common example is that of using a spreadsheet as a database, rather than making a proper database.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby John_Ha » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:38 pm

RusselB wrote:The basic spreadsheet has not changed much in the past 40-50 years. I started using spreadsheets around 1980, and, for the most part, they are still the same.

I remember VisiCalc back in those days.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

(Solved-kinda) Horse Racing game in OO. Is it possible? (YES

Postby wontaskmanyquestions » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:15 am

Yes it is possible, pretty much, by inserting a sideways bar chart into a spreadsheet, with each bar being a "horse." I got the idea by watching this video about someone who did it in Excel and was pretty much able to duplicate a lot of it, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWtlrDIwtoU

I have to say though, for someone who doesn't know a lot about spreadsheets, it was really kind of frustrating, the graphics were always, it seemed, difficult to select, and I never could figure out how to turn the chart-given graphics into horses (or, in the case of the video, cars). Thats not too bad though, I wasn't really trying to get an ultra sophisticated game. But if anyone can figure out how to do it, I'd sure love to know how.

The other trouble I had was to try to add sound, but I kept getting this "OLE General Error" and couldn't make it work. Don't know whats up with that.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and good luck if you decide to do this, it isn't all that difficult especially if you know a lot more about spreadsheets than I do, which you probably do :D
wontaskmanyquestions

Return to Calc