[Solved] Hiding columns

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Hiding columns

Postby dkvet » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:28 pm

I have an excel worksheet that I want people to use with Open Office if they don't have Excel. I have a protected worksheet that allows hiding of columns. When I open it in Open Office, it won't let me hide columns.

So, can you hide columns in protected worksheets in Open Office?

Thanks,
Doug
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.4.1 with MacOS 10.9.5
dkvet

Re: Hiding columns

Postby Villeroy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:52 pm

column_outline.ods
Hide Column on Protected Sheet
(11.84 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby dkvet » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:16 pm

After loading the protected Excel worksheet, I right click on the column heading that I want to hide. The only options are Column width, Copy, Paste, Paste Special. Hide or Show aren't even in the menu. Am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks
dkvet

Postby RusselB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Two options come to mind quickly.
1) Your version of Open Office, 3.4.1 as reported in your forum signature, doesn't support the feature you're looking for. Upgrading to a more recent version (personally recommending 4.2.1) should resolve this.
2) Your OpenOffice profile has become corrupted, causing an available feature to not show. Resetting your user profile, as described here should resolve this.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby Villeroy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:27 am

dkvet wrote:After loading the protected Excel worksheet, I right click on the column heading that I want to hide. The only options are Column width, Copy, Paste, Paste Special. Hide or Show aren't even in the menu. Am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks

The sheet is protected which means that you can't change most of the cell contents (except for unlocked cells), you can not change format attributes and you can not unhide stuff that has been hidden by the author of the sheet.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Hiding columns - Solved

Postby dkvet » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks. I'm glad that Excel has the option to let users format columns. Seems like this would be a good thing to allow.

Doug
dkvet

Postby RusselB » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:38 am

Imo, being able to hide/unhide rows/columns that the author of the spreadsheet has left visible/hidden is contrary to, some of, the efforts made by the spreadsheet author.
If you wish to advise the programmers of your suggestion, you can do so via the section for Bug Tracking Overview as referenced on https://openoffice.apache.org/bug-tracking.html
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby Highwayrob » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:30 am

I agree with russelb, i hide columns and lock it so people dont get confused at the data they are seeing that doesnt apply to them , and im not going to make another sheet for each task when they are inter-related to my work. once i unlock the sheet, all the columns show again and i can continue my work with all the data visible. this could also be considered a security issue. if you have sensitive data that you MUST hide form other users, then you hide the column, and lock the sheet. if someone were able to circumvent that, it could pose a security leak.
I'm certain this is by design and has been considered already.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
Highwayrob

Postby dkvet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:25 pm

The reason I'm interested in the end user being able to hide a column is they will be comparing about a dozen companies side by side. As they eliminate a company from consideration, it would be great to just hide that company's column so as to narrow down their choices as they go to arrive at the one company they'd like to chose for insurance.
dkvet

Postby Highwayrob » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:08 pm

So for your purposes would it makr sense to teach them how to hide columns and provide them with the password? That way after they compare, they can hide desired columns?
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
Highwayrob

Postby Villeroy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:16 pm

What's wrong with my above attachment column_outline.ods? It lets the user (un-)hide the specified columns without unprotecting the sheet.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby dkvet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Okay, perhaps I just don't know how to use the column_outline.ods. Can I import an existing excel spreadsheet into it? When I tried that the +/- columns disappeared.
dkvet

Postby Villeroy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:36 pm

I have no idea how you import an existing spreadsheet into another spreadsheet.
Select the columns in question and call
menu:Data>Group&Outline>Group...
[X] Columns
[OK]
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby dkvet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks, Villeroy - that worked. I opened my excel file into your Open Office sheet. Then I made each column a group and can hit the - to hide column and + to unhide it.
dkvet

Return to Calc