Using OOo for record keeping/time planning

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Using OOo for record keeping/time planning

Postby BenG » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:40 pm

First of all apologies if this in the wrong place.

I am currently working on a software project and I want to create a record of time taken on various tasks. Is it better to do this as a data-base or a spreadsheet? And does anyone have any hints/tips/guides on how best to achieve this?
BenG

Re: Using OOo for record keeping/time planning

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:27 pm

Is there not software written for this specific task? I'm certain that there is freeware available if you did a web search. Otherwise, organisation is a matter of personal preference, I'd think. Both database and spreadsheet will keep tabs on times, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Any differences might be in the presentation of data. They might be similar in that you'd need only a flat database, which the spreadsheet emulates nicely.

My main point though is that both database and spreadsheet allow personalised programming practice. You are not stuck with some predetermined format. If you want to have program A, program B, Program C, ... then these, database or spreadsheet, will do the job after some [and sometimes considerable] effort. But if they are already available, and satisfactory, why bother?

E.G. : http://www.dirfile.com/freeware/time-tracking.htm [I haven't tried any of them.]

David.
Dave

Postby keme » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:38 pm

You could try this attached "notebook". Data entry in "tasks" and summary in "Task_class".

If you need more entries in the Task_class list, you need to update the validation range for column A of Tasks accordingly. (A named range would probably be better.)
Attachments
test.ods
(8.05 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:11 pm

keme wrote:You could try this attached "notebook". Data entry in "tasks" and summary in "Task_class".

This is an excellent starting point because it starts with a simple list rather than cross-table (e.g. days in columns, hours in rows). Starting with cross-tables is a common mistake which makes spreadsheets extremely complex right from the start. You may derive such cross-tables from simple lists, but it is very difficult to extract any kind of summary from cross tables.

keme wrote:If you need more entries in the Task_class list, you need to update the validation range for column A of Tasks accordingly. (A named range would probably be better.)

Lists for validation or whatever can be expanded by insertion of cells. Most simply with these two macros assigned to Ctrl+Ins and Ctrl+Del. [Calc, Python] expand/shrink list ranges
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Calc