[Solved] ISNUMBER not understanding numbers formatting

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] ISNUMBER not understanding numbers formatting

Postby thebrowser » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Example:
In A1 type =-1 152,10
In A2 type =ISNUMBER(A1)
then A2 will display FALSE

However, this is a valid manner of writing a number in France.
I'm using the British version of OOo 2.4 so that may explain some things.
It used to display TRUE with 2.3 i think (i did not tested it with 2.3 however my formulas were working properly..) though i don't know if i was using the French or UK version of OOo..

I think you guys will know if this is a bug and if this has to be fixed.

thebrowser
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
thebrowser

Re: OOo 2.4 ISNUMBER not understanding all way of typing numbers

Postby Villeroy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:20 pm

I open a new spreadsheet, select some cells and make them French (Format>Cells...tab:Numbers,Language:[French(France)]
Input "1 234,56" yields number 1234.56 (English dot).

I remove all formatting and change the current document's number format language of cell-style "Default" to "French(France)". Now all the cells in this document accept "1 234,56" as number.

I want all numbers to be French by default and set Tools>Options...LanguageSettings>Languages "Locale Setting" to "French(France)". The next document accepts "1 234,56" as number without setting anything.

I want to use French spreadsheets without touching number formats in other components. I save the first spreadsheet (with the changed "Default" style) as template (Shift+F11), pick this template in Files>Templates>Organize... and make it my default template for new spreadsheets (File>New>Spreadsheet... ).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby thebrowser » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:35 pm

Ok, thank you very much :)

thebrowser
thebrowser

Postby Villeroy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:49 pm

I forgot: When I do nothing (keep all settings "Default"), OOo applies it's own corresponding locale according the language and country of my operating system. It does not apply any customizations, tweaks or tricks from the system locale. It just reads some system setting such as "fr-FR" and applies it's own settings for "fr-FR".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Calc