[Dropped] Enter data when "Edit Data" funcion is grey

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Dropped] Enter data when "Edit Data" funcion is grey

Postby alexsunny123 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:40 pm

Hello,

I am attempting to create a data source with the ultimate goal of making mailing labels from addresses in my address book. I have used the Wizard and created a spread sheet with my data. Now I would like to edit and add to the data in the spreadsheet but the "Edit Data" option is greyed out. In the Wizard I specifically selected the "Modify Data" option as opposed to the Read Only (or whatever the wording was). Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

thanks
alexsunny
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
alexsunny123

Re: How to enter data when "Edit Data" funcion is greyed out

Postby MrProgrammer » Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

alexsunny123 wrote:I am attempting to create a data source with the ultimate goal of making mailing labels from addresses in my address book.
Read about the process:
Mail Merge chapter of the Writer Guide
Creating mailing labels using a Calc file as data base
[Solved] Address Labels in OO 4.1.2 Windows 10
[Solved] Help needed with creating editable mailing labels
I've used the table approach, but did the cloning via linked, protected sections
[Solved] How to import Mac Contacts into Calc ?

alexsunny123 wrote:I have used the Wizard and created a spread sheet with my data.
OpenOffice provides many wizards. You do not say which one you used or which options you selected in it. As I do not use Wndows I may not be of much help in replicating creation of a data source from the Windows Vista (shown in your forum signature) address book. Do you really use OpenOffice 3.1, released in 2009? How do you expect to get appropriate help if you provide incorrect information about your environment?
Windows signature.png
Windows signature.png (20.77 KiB) Viewed 760 times

alexsunny123 wrote:Now I would like to edit and add to the data in the spreadsheet but the "Edit Data" option is greyed out. In the Wizard I specifically selected the "Modify Data" option as opposed to the Read Only (or whatever the wording was).
I am not familiar with an Edit Data option. Where, specifically, do you find Edit Data? On MacOS, the data source created from the computer's address book is read only. I believe it is read only on Windows Vista too.

alexsunny123 wrote:Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
On a Mac, to create labels from my address book I just use the features which come with the address book program and do not use OpenOffice at all. I have no idea if you have similar features on Windows, but if so this method is likely to be much easier for you.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Re: How to enter data when "Edit Data" funcion is greyed out

Postby Villeroy » Sat May 08, 2021 5:58 pm

I think he confuses a database document with a spreadsheet. May be he created a database document. I don't know.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Calc