[Solved] Dates changed on old ods

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Dates changed on old ods

Postby youruinedeverything » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:05 pm

How do I stop dates changing? GLOBALLY?

I have to redo everything now, thanks a lot.

I'm used to Notepad. ''What You Type Is What You Get''
Last edited by youruinedeverything on Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
youruinedeverything

Re: Dates changed on old ods

Postby FJCC » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Please explain what the cell content is where the date is changing. Is it a fixed date or a formula? It might help to upload a document that has the problem, telling us exactly where in the document to look. To upload a file, click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.

Your mention of Notepad makes me wonder if you are using Calc, the spreadsheet program, or whether you are using Writer, which is for text documents.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby Villeroy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Do us all a favour and keep on using Notepad.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:18 pm

youruinedeverything wrote:How do I stop dates changing? GLOBALLY?' ... I'm used to Notepad. ''What You Type Is What You Get''

If you want to use a program more capable than Notepad then read the manual to find out what functions it gives you so that you don't misuse them. If you climb out of a soapbox cart and get in to a Ferrari without learning to drive a car you will have problems.
youruinedeverything wrote:I have to redo everything now, thanks a lot.

A bad workman always blames his tools and never blames himself.

You are posting in the Calc forum which is for spreadsheets. Notepad can't do spreadsheets.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby FJCC » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Why is everybody so grumpy today?
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby youruinedeverything » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:18 pm

FJCC wrote:Why is everybody so grumpy today?

Cause we all are having a bad day, and we all like to throw fire at each other through keyboard warrior-ing, or something. We are dumb emotional meat-bags, you know.

My point of mentioning Notepad, is that it does not change anything when doing something. Forget it, not relevant.

I did a fresh install of Win, then downloaded apparently a newer version of OpenOffice, no I don't remember the old version, nor do I have the installation to the older one.
I did not expect a simple thing to change. like writing a date, then later different.

Anyway, that screwed up all dates on all the ROWS below the dates to the top cells. It changed the ones below the top to the same dates.

How can I make Calc stop doing that? I decide the date, not Calc.
youruinedeverything

Postby Villeroy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:24 pm

youruinedeverything wrote:My point of mentioning Notepad, is that it does not change anything when doing something. Forget it, not relevant.

That's only because it does nothing apart from loading and saving unformatted chains of characters.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby FJCC » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:33 pm

Assuming we are talking about manually entered dates and not the result of a formula, I think the most likely way for dates to change is if the setting for the zero point of dates has changed. If you go to the menu Tools -> Options, expand the OpenOffice Calc list on the left and select Calculate, you will see a dialog with a Date section at the upper right. This shows the date used as the zero point of the date scale. The usual setting is December 30, 1899. If your dates have been changing by two days or by four years and two days, then changes in this setting are the likely culprit.
FJCC

Postby RoryOF » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:36 pm

It depends on what function you used to insert a date. If you have used Today() or Now(), of course it will change - that's what the function does.

Calc can use three base dates, set in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice Calc /Calculate, for compatibility with other spreadsheets. You can select whichever of these that best suits your file.

Edit: Note that, on a Mac, Options is under Preferences. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:48 pm

As always it would help if a poster read the forum guidelines before posting and uploaded a file. We could then diagnose instead of guessing.

Why grumpy? I think it when a poster has made no apparent attempt to help himself, hasn't bothered to search the forum, hasn't read the manual, hasn't read the forum guidelines, rants about the program being the problem without ever considering he might be instructing AOO to do what he dislikes and expects a bespoke answer tailored just for him.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:55 pm

I found one of my mini tutorials about turning Calc into a non-spreadsheet, kind of text editor with cells:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89901&p=424204#p424204
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:13 pm

John_Ha wrote:AWhy grumpy?

Today, you can be Grumpy, John. I will be Happy. We have vacancies for Doc, Dopey, Sleepy, Bashful and Sneezy.

[Reference, for younger generation, is to "Snow White and the Seven dwarfs"]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby youruinedeverything » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Moderators. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and remain calm, unlike some others, like me, and somebody else here. Yes the assumption of not using formula is right. Manual writing.
/Tools /Options /OpenOffice Calc /Calculate/date
I believe I've never touched that setting before.

Just one more question. Which mode is recommended? 01/01/1900 (Starcalc 1.0) or 01/01/1904?

-----

Villeroy and John_Ha
Not easy to find or know such in-depth thing for a basic user. Instead of continue flaming, try to do what the Moderators did.
Try to help, or shut it, you two are not helping to get to a solution, just ranting like I did, great job boys by going down the same idiotic rabbit hole that I created. Clap clap.

Okay villeroy, your last post seemed to be a bit calmer, except the wording of that tutorial was a bit hateful toward other peoples preferences. Apparently something wrong with us doing things different that you.
You must be better than everybody else. Maybe we should start kissing you toe too, cause why not?

Maybe we should continue flaming towards each other and see who of us makes the angriest post.
You like competitions, right? I do.
youruinedeverything

Postby youruinedeverything » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:56 pm

youruinedeverything wrote:Just one more question. Which mode is recommended? 01/01/1900 (Starcalc 1.0) or 01/01/1904?

Update: the ''01/01/1904'' did the trick for me.

Thanks Moderators for the help.
youruinedeverything

Postby RusselB » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:11 pm

RoryOF wrote:
John_Ha wrote:AWhy grumpy?

Today, you can be Grumpy, John. I will be Happy. We have vacancies for Doc, Dopey, Sleepy, Bashful and Sneezy.

[Reference, for younger generation, is to "Snow White and the Seven dwarfs"]

I must be a mixture of Dopey, Sleepy and Sneezy today... d*mn coid (shouldn't be the flu, as I get the flu shot every year).
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Return to Calc