Graphics Filter Error and then some

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Graphics Filter Error and then some

Postby mwilson » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 am

Hi,

I am a collector of die cast cars and I like to keep my own inventory using images.

Typically, I use the Insert->Picture->From File way of doing things. However, I ran into the common error of after a few, images stop working. I eventually got it to work.

The problem is, while playing with it, it seems I created links to the saved images on my computer (see atttached).

I have tried a bunch of different things to get them to go away based on other boards. They behave like this:

I left click and the image appears from the file location.

I right click and nothing.

I clear contents (on the cell) and no change.

I delete the cell and no change.

It's like I can see them but the software can't do anything about them.
Attachments
OpenOffice.PNG
OpenOffice.PNG (31.26 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Apache OpenOffice4.1.5 Windows 10
mwilson

Re: Graphics Filter Error and then some

Postby RusselB » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:31 am

Welcome to the Forums.
You are, imo, making a common error, namely using a spreadsheet (Calc) as a database (Base).
I strongly urge you to consider going to a proper database before things get worse.

As to your actual problem, the software is seeing the image, just not where you think it's seeing it.
It's next to impossible to properly identify what's going on from your screenshot, but if you could upload a copy of your actual spreadsheet, it would be much more helpful.
We don't need the actual pictures, but we do need to be able to examine your spreadsheet structure in order to (hopefully) determine what is happening and why.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby John_Ha » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:25 am

When you go Insert > Picture > From file ..., you have ticked the Link box so images are linked, not embedded.

Clipboard01.gif

Go Edit > Links > Break link ..., to break the link and embed the image.

If that does not fix it upload the file.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Lupp » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:07 pm

mwilson wrote:...
I clear contents (on the cell) and no change.
I delete the cell and no change. ...

Images (or any shapes), whether linked or embedded, never are content of a cell. A graphical object only can be anchored to a cell - or to "the page". But even if anchored to a cell it cannot be cleared by deleting the cell (row or column). It will be re-anchored to the cell taking the place of the deleted one (and having the old CellName then).

Beyond this comment the behaviour you describe looks strange to me anyway, and I cannot tell you how to get rescue-except:
Over the years I experienced some kinds of strange behaviour of graphical objects which were due to a user profile corruption. See https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... er_Profile for detailed information.

[And: You seem to want your images to have equal size, and this size also being the size of the cell you anchored the image to. In recent versions of LibreOffice there is an additional variant of anchoring graphical objects to cells which causes automatic resizing with the cell.]
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.2 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Postby mwilson » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:54 pm

I tried what you suggested John_Ha and no joy.

Here is link to the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4nvx0hkxc07grn/Diecast.ods?dl=0
mwilson

Postby RusselB » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:34 am

I'm getting embedded images with the file you supplied.
I get the menu system I would expect when right clicking the image.
I did note that there is no Delete option in that menu. If you are wanting to delete the images, I found highlighting the image, then pressing the Delete key works just fine.
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby mwilson » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:56 am

The problem is not the images, the problem is the gray boxes that are links to where the image is saved. That's what I am trying to get rid of.
mwilson

Postby RusselB » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:04 am

Are you wanting to keep those as links, just without the gray background or are you wanting to keep the text, losing the link and the gray or something else?
If you want to keep the text, but lose the background and the link, simply use Ctrl+M or right click on each one and select Default Formatting.
If you want to keep the link, but lose the background colour, then you need to make changes through Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Appearance
There you'll find, amongst others, Unvisited links and Visited links. Adjust the colour settings to your preference for one or both. The Automatic setting appears to be what we are currently seeing, and I'm not sure where to change that.
RusselB

Postby John_Ha » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:27 pm

As is always the case seeing the file allows the problem to be diagnosed rather than guessed.

You have inserted two Form Controls which cannot be deleted until you go into Form Design mode. Go View > Toolbars > Form Design. Toggle Design Mode to ON. Select a control > Delete.

Several other points. Your file is 113 MBytes which is huge. The reason is you are inserting photos direct from your camera where they are 4,048 x 3,036 x 24 bit images which are typically about 4 MBytes each. You are then displaying them in a cell where they are, say, one inch across so you are trying to display them at 4,048 pixels per inch! Your display is probably 100 pixels per inch so the images are 40x too large linearly which means they are 40 x 40 = 1,600x too large in file size.

When I resample them down to 400 pixels wide the image file sizes drop to 100kBytes and the .ods to 3 MBytes. There is no visible effect on image quality even when magnified quite large.

Carefully read [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images.

AOO has a known bug where images get lost in Writer and Impress and, no doubt, in Calc. See the Tutorial - LO may be better as the bug has been fixed.

Using Calc is possible but not recommended. This is a database application where each record is like a card in a card index - it has the photo and all the information on the car together with a field which has three preset values: Have, Want, In process of buying. Note how this means you cannot make the error of having a car in both Have and Want which is quite possible in your spreadsheet.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:38 pm

John_Ha wrote:AOO has a known bug where images get lost in Writer and Impress and, no doubt, in Calc. See the Tutorial - LO may be better as the bug has been fixed.

For what it's worth, I have a fix for the image loss problem that is working for me on OpenOffice running on Xubuntu; the fix is, on /Tools /Options /Load-Save /General to disable "Save Auto|Recovery every ... minutes". I have been using OO in various versions with this setting, composing and editing Impress files, for several years, and have not had any image loss, which I did have before changing that setting.

I do not know if it will work with Windows or Mac versions, but one could try it.

With this setting disabled the responsibility for making regular backups (preferably timed/dated) will fall on the user. Should there be a program or computer crash, one will lose the information entered since the last backup - fortunately I find linux very stable.

Options is under Preferences on a Mac.

Edit: I give the above information in good faith. It works and has been working for me for several years making heavy graphics insertions into Impress and to a lesser extent into Writer documents. If you try it, it becomes your responsibility to make frequent Saves of your documents. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:49 pm

RoryOF wrote:For what it's worth, I have a fix for the image loss problem that is working for me on OpenOffice running on Xubuntu; the fix is, on /Tools /Options /Load-Save /General to disable "Save Auto|Recovery every ... minutes".

Rory

That does not prevent image loss - it merely reduces the probability. I have experienced image loss even with AutoRecovery disabled.

The bug is a coding error in the image handling code. See Image handling rework for LibreOffice – Collabora’s tender results where I expect AOO has the same code design as LO. It includes

Problems with the image life-cycle

Currently, when an image is read from a document, a GraphicObject is created for the image and handled over to the GraphicManager which manages the life-cycle. When this happens we usually get back the string based unique ID of the GraphicObject with which we can always get access the image by creating a new GraphicObject with the unique ID (GraphicManager will look for the image with that unique ID).

Usually the unique ID is the one that is passed on between layers in LibreOffice (for example, from the ODF filter when loaded, to the model, where it is manipulated and then to the OOXML filter when saving) but the unique ID itself is just a “reference” to the image and by itself it doesn’t have any control over when the image can safely be removed and when not. It could happen that in a certain situation we would still have the unique ID referenced somewhere in the model, but the image would already be removed. This is dangerous [read the image can be lost!] and needs to be changed.

So image loss occurs when the image(s) is swapped out of memory when contact with the image is lost. It is therefore more common with large images and with many images both of which increase the number of swaps.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Calc