Importing spreadsheet pages from scanner

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Importing spreadsheet pages from scanner

Postby docrokker7 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:07 pm

I have several pages of a spreadsheet document from Microsoft works that I would like to scan into my laptop computer and import into open office 4.17. I would like to edit these pages as they need quite a few changes of addition and deleting. have not been able to figure out how to get them into an Open Office spreadsheet file so I can update this file. Thank you
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title, was: Importing spreadsheet pages
Open Office 4.17 on Windows 10
docrokker7

Re: Importing spreadsheet pages

Postby MrProgrammer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

docrokker7 wrote:I have several pages of a spreadsheet document from Microsoft works that I would like to scan into my laptop computer and import into open office 4.17. I would like to edit these pages as they need quite a few changes of addition and deleting.
Scan a picture of a table and manipulate the data

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Re: Importing spreadsheet pages from scanner

Postby John_Ha » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:32 pm

docrokker7 wrote:I have several pages of a spreadsheet document from Microsoft works that I would like to scan into my laptop computer and import into open office 4.17.

Don't involve the scanner!

Just copy and paste it. Highlight the data you want copied > press Ctrt+C > click in Writer or Calc > press Ctrl+V.

All done.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:35 pm

If the data is on paper, it might be simpler and quicker to hand enter the data and formulae.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:56 am

If it's on paper :D then scan it and use the OCR software to recognise the data. You are likely to need to do a lot of correcting.

1. When you have the data in electronic form in Notepad save it as data.csv or as data.txt.
2. Add some symbol which is not used in the data to separate the data fields as below where I use #.

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Item#Quantity#Price in pence#Total in £
Apples#10#50#5.00
Pears#7#45#3.15
Courgettes#5#100#5.00

3. Open data.csv or data.txt with Calc by File > Open. Click the arrow by All files and scroll down to choose Text CSV (*.csv, *.txt)
4. Specify that you are using a # as the separator.
5. Save as data.ods

The data will now be input as fields. Note that only the numbers will be input - not the formulae.

Clipboard01.gif

data.csv
(98 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times

data.ods
(9.27 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:39 pm

It is worth mentioning that scanner results from numerical data need extremely careful proof reading, as numbers are often wrongly recognised (6 and 8 confused, for example); such undetected errors will often give an apparently correct, but erroneous, result. Recognised text has such redundancy that one can read validly in spite of recognition errors.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Calc