Autofilter keeps including the column header

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Autofilter keeps including the column header

Postby stupiduser » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:59 pm

I have a spreadsheet where I store information about customers for our business, e.g. name, address, amount paid, dates serviced, etc. I had an autofilter set up that worked perfectly, but then I needed to add a few extra columns to separate the single-column addresses into 3 columns for street address, city, and zipcode. Before I added the columns, I removed the autofilter that was in place. Now when I go back to add the autofilter, it is including the headers in the drop-down menu (specifying whether the range contains column headers seems to make no difference, it does this no matter which one I pick), AND the top row is completely disappearing when I make a selection. I've tried varying which cells are selected when I apply the autofilter, but it's not helping. I just want it to work the way it did before I added the new columns. Any help is appreciated.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
stupiduser

Re: Autofilter keeps including the column header

Postby FJCC » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Can you provide a small sample with dummy data that illustrates this problem? To upload a file, click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby Villeroy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Headers are detected automatically if the first row consists of text without numbers and without blanks.
You can fill out the header row with text and you can declare the list range like this:
Remove all filters.
Select the entire range of data including the header row.
menu:Data>Define...
Give a name to the range and check option "Contains header row" below "More Options".
Click buttons [Add] and [OK]
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Alex1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:51 pm

Some column headers were probably blank when you applied the autofilter. Then you are asked "The range does not contain column headers. Do you want the first line to be used as column header?" If you answer with no, the headers will be part of the data if you use the filter in those columns. So always answer with yes.
AOO 4.1.7 & LO 5.0.6 on Windows XP & 7
Alex1
Volunteer

Return to Calc