[Solved] Data validity values clearing upon file close/open

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Data validity values clearing upon file close/open

Postby ldeikis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Hello.
I've gone down a rabbit hole of spreadsheeting the past few months and found this forum incredibly helpful. I've also learned that some projects are better suited to a database program, but that's a different story!

My weird issue is that I have a column that has a Data Validity filter which references an array on another sheet ("NONE_ITEMS.A$2:A$500"). This works fine, creates a dropdown as intended allowing me to select from the items listed on that other sheet. However, if I close calc and reopen it, when I open the dropdown menu for those cells it says "Err:520". This error doesn't occur if I save or save-as, only if I close the program and reopen. If I type in the formula again it works fine all day until close out again. It's not that big a deal, but I can't figure out how to make it stick.

Thanks for any guidance.
Last edited by ldeikis on Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoOffice 2015.5 on Mac 10.11.4
ldeikis

Re: Data validity values clearing upon file close/open

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:35 pm

What a file type are you using?

Always save your important documents into the native, international standard ODF file formats.

Data_validity.ods
(10.65 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by Zizi64 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.3.3; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RusselB » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Welcome to the Forums.
I don't know why this is happening to you, but your forum signature says you are using NeoOffice, not OpenOffice.
f your forum signature is correct, have you tried your spreadsheet with OpenOffice.
While I'm not familiar with NeoOffice, most, if not all, of the different office versions have some peculiarity.... this might be the case, though I can't think of why.
If you can't check OpenOffice, then we would need to have a copy of your file in order to examine it.
See [Forum]How to attach a document here for details.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby ldeikis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Zizi64 wrote:What a file type are you using?
Always save your important documents into the native, international standard ODF file formats.

Zizi nailed it--Data validity is one of the hiccups in incompatibility between odf and xls.

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 2f8afbd960

I have this whole document saved as an XLS because I need to forward a page of it to someone else who gets "confused" by anything other than a .xls or .xlsx suffix. I've switched it to ODF and will just convert the page I have to export.

(I'm on NeoOffice just because, and it seemed like a poor choice to swap programs in the midst of a big project. This massive spreadsheet is the first time the difference in support has mattered--these forums have been invaluable--so I may switch, although I've so far found almost zero differences between neo and OO)

Thanks!

Luke
NeoOffice 2015.5 on Mac 10.11.4
ldeikis

Re: [SOLVED] Data validity values clearing upon file close/o

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:44 pm

(I'm on NeoOffice just because, and it seemed like a poor choice to swap programs in the midst of a big project. This massive spreadsheet is the first time the difference in support has mattered--these forums have been invaluable--so I may switch, although I've so far found almost zero differences between neo and OO)

I suggest you to use LibreOffice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#History
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.3.3; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Calc