Did Open Office mess up my Word macros?

Discuss the word processor

Did Open Office mess up my Word macros?

Postby Schatzi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:33 am

I’m a translator (English/Spanish) running Word 2007 in Windows 7, & am OpenOffice beginner. I use hot key/macros for accented letters, etc. I set them up in OpenOffice 4.1.3, and they worked until I logged out and logged back in; then they had disappeared. AND MY MACROS WERE MESSED UP IN WORD, AND WOULDN’T WORK. :shock: Can you explain?
OpenOffice4.1.3 Windows7
Schatzi

Re: Did Open Office mess up my Word macros?

Postby RoryOF » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:11 am

Different underlying engines, hence different macro languages. You will need to rewrite them to suit OpenOffice's API.

The accented letters can often be handled by correct choice of keyboard/locale.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Zizi64 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 am

Can you explain?

The LibreOffice StarBasic interpreter can use some MS VBA macros, but not all of them.

Please upload the code of your macros, or try the LibreOffice with the
Option VBASupport 1

command in the first line of the code.

But it is better to rewrite all of your macros based on the API of the AOO/LO - as RoryOF suggested.
You can use the StarBasic language and IDE or the other supported programming languages.
API: Application Programming Interface = thousands of built-in functions and procedures to control all of the features of the opensource office suite.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.0; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Even if the VBA would be executable and you defined the hotkeys on document level (not within the scope of WinWord application), I would expect that the hotkeys won't work in any application other than Word.
MS Word does not even try to run any StarBasic macros (which is a good decision in my honest opinion).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Writer