Changing Ctrl+Alt+C from "Copyright" symbol to Comment

Discuss the word processor

Changing Ctrl+Alt+C from "Copyright" symbol to Comment

Postby Connetts » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Am I missing something obvious? I am not a heavy user of Open Office Writer (my favoured programme for resarch and writing is Nota Bene) but I must use Open Office at work for compatibility reasons.

I need to insert comments in papers I edit which I import from Word. The drop-down Insert menu specifies that this can be done with Ctrl+Alt+C, but this inserts a "copyright" © symbol. This would be the most convenient keystroke. Is there a keyboard reconfiguration I need to make, or am I missing something -- entirely possible! :?
Open Office v. 4.1.1 running under Windows 10
Connetts

Re: Changing Ctrl+Alt+C from "Copyright" symbol to Comment

Postby RoryOF » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Just now tested: Ctrl Alt C inserts a comment for me. You need to hold Ctrl and Alt keys, then press C.

Edit: Typing <space>(C) when Autocorrect while typing is turned on gives the Copyright symbol. Note it is a capital C, and don't forget the leading space. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Is there a keyboard reconfiguration

Yes there is.
Tools - Customize - Keyboard...

Customize_keys.png

The attached screenshot picture was made in my LibreOffice 6.1.6, but - I suppose it - there is same function in the AOO too.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.3;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Connetts » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:22 pm

No, I'm afraid that I can't make the changes suggested by RoryOf and ZiZi64 work. I still get the copyright symbol. I can still insert comments going the long way (Alt+I, then N), but a single keystroke would be nice.

Ho hum....we live in an imperfect world.
Connetts

Postby RoryOF » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:00 pm

I have verified on a Windows machine (ugh!). Ctrl Alt C gives a comment. Probably best to delete your OO User Profile; it will then make a fresh copy with default values. Also check that the documents are using the correct language (exact variety is important); this is shown in middle of Status Bar (bottom bar) of OO window.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Connetts » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks for your patience, RoryOf. I’m clearly doing something wrong. I’ll take another swipe at the issue and follow your fresh advice.
Connetts

Postby Bill » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:00 pm

Connetts wrote:No, I'm afraid that I can't make the changes suggested by RoryOf and ZiZi64 work. I still get the copyright symbol.

Does this mean that you made the suggested changes and they did not work or that you were unable to make the changes?

Ctrl+Alt+C is the shortcut for the copyright symbol in MS Office. Is it possible that your OpenOffice has been modified to do the same? Could there be a program like AutoHotKey working in the background to insert the copyright symbol universally?
AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3.6.2 and LO 6.4.3.2 on Kubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bidouille » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Why a shortcut for that?
AutoCorrection do the job: input (c) and it will be changed by ©
Same thing for (r) and changed by ®

In other words, you don't use a sledgehammer to kill a fly.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:44 pm

On my computers the (r) (c) needed to be (R) (C) to give the symbols. (Just now tested).
RoryOF

Return to Writer