4 fold information flyer

Discuss the word processor

4 fold information flyer

Postby CharlesLaf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Hello open source lovers,

First time here, I went from MS office to open office a few months aback.
So far so good.

Today, I'm working on a flyer. The standard paper sheet, 8.5inches x 11inches, will be folded into 4.
So, I would like to create a 4 section page,
We'll call them 1a, 1b, 2a and 2b. (digits = line, letters = column).

So I need 1a to be regular, and 2a, 1b and 32c will be upside down.

Is it within the range of possibilities of Open office?

Thanks a ton,
Charles
Open Office 4.1 under windows 10
CharlesLaf

Re: 4 fold information flyer

Postby acknak » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

It's possible but not simple, and the best approach will depend on what content you need in the flyer.

If the content is primarily text, say text that needs to flow from one page to another--a four-part pamphlet, for example, then I would suggest using OO Writer, with a custom page size of one-quarter letter size. The formatted pages can then be exported to pdf, and some other software can be used to arrange the pages on the printed output. Writer doesn't support upside down text, so this approach is not only easier, it's necessary.

If the content mixes text and graphics in a free-form layout, then I suggest using OO Draw. Draw does support upside down text, so you can create the exact printable layout directly, or you can use a two-step approach with the pdf intermediate.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby CharlesLaf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks, I'll try Draw, as the project include graphics.

My concern with Draw is the printing quality. For some reason, when I print a picture file, it's much uglier quality wise than if it's a text document. I have an active Photoshop license, and the end product is far worse out of the printer than a doc file.
Open Office 4.1 under windows 10
CharlesLaf

Postby acknak » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:49 pm

As long as the images you're including in the flyer have adequate resolution (pixels/dots per inch) then the print quality should be fine. If the image resolution is lower, requiring up-scaling and smoothing, then the quality may be worse with OO, as the smoothing process may not be the best.

For example, a background image for a quarter-page, 4.25" wide, needs to have 200 dpi minimum, or 850 pixels width.

It also makes a big difference what the images show. An image that uses small text is going to require higher pixel count than a landscape background.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Writer