[Solved] Support of .sdw files

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Support of .sdw files

Postby cessnas » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:42 am

I had occasion to attempt to access some older word processing files today and encountered a problem in attempting to open an *.sdw file. Since I was a long time user of Star Office prior to Open Office I have a considerable number of files in my archives that are stored n the *sdw format. In Open Office on my Win 7 PC, Open Office did not list *.sdw as a valid file type in the OPEN dialogue and OpenOffice would not open the *.sdw files. To double check the issue, I attempted to open one of these files on my Win Vista PC and (lo and behold) I was successful.

The dialogue on the Win 7 PC did not list any file types for "StarWriter" and would not open the files. The dialogue on the Win Vista PC listed two file types for "StarWriter" (*.sdw and *.vor) and subsequently opened the files and rendered them accurately.

I found that the version for the two installations of OpenOffice were the same (Ver. 3.4.0 and even came from the same Build = AOO340m1(Build 9590) Rev. 1327774).

How can I add *,sdw and other StarOffice file types to my implementation of OpenOffice so that I may access the files in my archive.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
I am using OpenOffice ver. 3.4.0 on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
cessnas

Re: Support of .sdw files

Postby acknak » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:16 am

My copy of Apache OO 3.4.1 does include ".sdw" in the file types drop down. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that some of the older file type support was going to be moved into an optional "filter package". You may need to go back and add that, or just do a complete install of the new version.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby FJCC » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:18 am

Here is the text of a message on the developer's list that may be helpful.
Regina Henschel rb.henschel@t-online.de via incubator.apache.org

Jul 26

to ooo-dev
Hi Margaret,

Margaret Crozier schrieb:

Hello,

For most of my computer life :) I was able to open the .swd files
created on my first computer. I have been using OO ever since I
upgraded and was able to open those files for a long time.

However, I am now stumped and frustrated because I have so many files
with that extension but not able to access them.

Can you please help me solve this dilemma?

a better place for such questions is the mailing list ooo-users@incubator.apache.org or a forum.

You likely need to install the filter.

Do you have got a PC with a Windows operating system? If yes, then goto Start > Control Panel > Software. Click on "OpenOffice.org 3.4" and there on "Modify". Follow the wizard to "Modify". In the tree on the left side open "Optional Components" and click next to "Legacy Filters". Chose the option "This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed to local hard drive". Then follow the wizard to the end.

Apache OpenOffice has a converter for such documents, which allows to convert them all at once to a modern format. Start Apache OpenOffice and then use File > Wizards > Document Converter.

Kind regards
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby PGAGA » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:14 am

Sunday, September 02, 2012

The legacy StarOffice filters are an install option selected using custom option during installation.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
PGAGA
Volunteer

Postby cessnas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for the words of advice. I did install the update (3.4.1) using the CUSTOM dialog and (eventually) figured out the option to turn on to include legacy file types in the "open files" dialog. Everything seems to be working as intended. (The normal install would not have loaded the legacy file types.) Thanks to all for your assistance.
I am using OpenOffice ver. 3.4.0 on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
cessnas

Re: [Solved] Support of .sdw files

Postby boardscript » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Phil wrote:

"The legacy StarOffice filters are an install option selected using custom option during installation."

Selected from *somewhere* (not identified) during a "Custom" install. Half of the directions may get someone halfway there.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
boardscript

Postby boardscript » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:43 pm

cessnas wrote:

". . . figured out the option . . ."

i.e., the specific steps weren't provided in the "explanation(s)" prior.

As a point of (correction and) clarity. From the post by FJCC, the embedded copied message, "Software" is actually "Programs", at least in my Windows 7. Also, a couple of steps were left out to get to the "Modify" juncture.

Try: Start > Control Panel > then under Program click "Uninstall a Program" ("Program" can be clicked, but then you'd just need to click "Uninstall a Program" again, so this eliminates the additional click). Find Open Office (may need to scroll down, depending on how many programs are installed), select it and either: 1) click "Change" up at the top, or 2) right-click Open Office and select change (I prefer the latter, less mouse movement etc.). Selecting "Repair", at least on this system, brought about an error message stating to close Open Office even though it wasn't running (verified in Task Manager), and upon closing/exiting that dialog box another error message stated "fatal installation".

Anyway, clicking "Change" worked, THEN the Open Office "Installation Wizard" dialog opens (it actually says that in the title area), the "Modify" should automatically be selected by default (if it isn't for some reasons, select it) then click "Next" and expand the "Optional Components" (left-click the "+" symbol to the left of the "Optional Components" to expand it), locate the "Legacy Filters" (fifth down from the top), you'll notice it has a red "X" beside it (indicating it's not installed), click the little error and select "This feature will be installed on local hard drive", then select "Next" to install.

Believe it or not, it's not that intuitive of a process on Windows for everyone. Providing each specific step may be necessary, helpful and reduces the frustration seemingly continually inherent with Windows.
boardscript

Postby Bill » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:24 pm

boardscript wrote:Providing each specific step may be necessary, helpful and reduces the frustration seemingly continually inherent with Windows.

I've found that it's usually sufficient to provide a little guidance about how to get started. Specific steps can be provided later if necessary.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Can we add these file filters to a Mac or Linux installation? They are not in Linux packages downloadable from libreoffice.org or openoffice.org respectively.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby boardscript » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:58 pm

My correction, I wrote:

". . . you'll notice it has a red "X" beside it (indicating it's not installed), click the little error . . . "

error should be arrow.
boardscript

Postby boardscript » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Bill wrote:
boardscript wrote:Providing each specific step may be necessary, helpful and reduces the frustration seemingly continually inherent with Windows.

I've found that it's usually sufficient to provide a little guidance about how to get started. Specific steps can be provided later if necessary.

Well they were necessary. I've been a comp. user for 30 years. It took about 15 minutes to find the right post, that was after playing around with the .sdw file on the computer for an hour, trying everything: 1) right-clicking the file to open in a specified program (Wordpad, Notes), 2) parsing the file in those applications for the needed information, 3) Uninstalling/installing various saved versions of Libre and OO, 4) Finding and downloading the other suggested prior versions OO (Spec. 3.6, that by the way, had an issue of not installing because THE PACKAGE ITSELF didn't have Java, which required an Internet connection to obtain, which that system didn't have), 5) Finding the proper post that mentions/references the proper OO version to download, i.e., 3.4.1 (not 3.6).

It's a mess. There should be an official post with very clear instructions. And I see the MAC guy is still out. That's unacceptable.
boardscript

Postby Bill » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:17 pm

boardscript wrote:
Bill wrote:

Well they were necessary.

They weren't necessary for the OP, who figured it out over 2 years ago.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby morphingstar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 am

will the solution offered by boardscript work for oo4.1.2.
My 4.0.1. opens my old files. If 4.1.2. can not this might be the end of updating.
MorphingStar is relate to morphing from WIN stuff to StarOffice, it is a while, but some files are still my goodoies.
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
morphingstar

Necromancy; was:Re: [Solved] Support of .sdw files

Postby Lupp » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:23 pm

This thread started on 2012-09-02 and was marked SOLVED long ago.
Well, the binary StarOffice formats already used since StarOffice by StarDivision, rest their souls, are still the same and will not be changed within the next 10 000 years. Solutions probably valid in 2012, however, may no longer be. We since had the time of sx? formats also gone to the vault meanwhile.

Should this thread not be classed "outdated" now and replaced by another one under a topic like "Outdated formats formerly used by StarOffice, OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice: How to open old files nowadays (2016)?"

I personally keep many files in sd? and sx? formats. Now and then I want to look into one of them or even to convert it into a currently used format.
For this purpose II also keep some older versions of "our software" still capable of reading formats now outdated.
In my case these versions (shortlist) are: LibreOffice 3.3.0 (of 2010) and LibreOffice 3.6.5 (of 2012), both from times where there was no relevant difference between the branches created by the damned (though possibly unavoidable) schism.

Additional good news now: Both these versions are still available from http://downloadarchive.documentfoundati ... ffice/old/ and both are also offered there packed in the PortableApps format. We thus don't need to install anything to open or to convert old files.

What about users of Mac OS or Linux then?
The named versions I tested under "Wine" on Ubuntu some time ago and they worked well (standalone or using the PortableApps platform the same).
I cannot test under a Mac OS, but surely there also are means to run Win executables.

(If I get a few votes in favour of the new thread suggested above, I will create it myself.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.2 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Postby morphingstar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:51 am

<<Outdated formats formerly used by StarOffice, OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice: How to open old files nowadays (2016)?" >>
At least as an extension or something.
Problem with using dated software is: I won't work on newer O/S. My old PC don't work any longer.
Take OO4... which claims JAVA not up-to-date, when really Java is up-to-date, but OO Help can't handle this properly.
Luckily OO Help sometimes works anyway, though it claims it can't. SoftWarriors delight.

Tks for care. Would be glad to receive your msg when new thread opens.
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
morphingstar

Postby Villeroy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java
AOO for Windows is 32-bit software and any Java software interfacing with 32-bit software requires a 32-bit Java runtime typically installed somewhere below C:\Programs (x86)\...
Only the search function of the online help depends on Java. The help index works without Java.
LibreOffice5 comes as 64-bit software.

Dropping support for old binary formats was a big relief for the developers because a big trunc of very old code could be removed forever.

Get an old laptop, insert a Linux-CD with OpenOffice or LibreOffice 3.3/3.4 and run the live system from CD. Convert all files via menu:File>Wizards>Document Converter. Or use some old version of office on a stick ("portable applications").
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved (in a different way)] Support .sdw files (and mo

Postby RonCam » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:26 am

Perhaps this excellent description of How to find and convert StarOffice files (Tech Republic) should be linked to this thread. The detail and illustrations to be found there will leave no one behind -- going as far as giving the exact code to paste into terminal to automatically find and gather the files needing conversion.

Totally off topic, but the reason I'm doing this right now is I'm recreating StarOffice5.2's multiple desktops in Linux Mint KDE (the old office suite was running under Windows 2K).

:super: I was pleased to discover KDE's multiple desktops may be configured to work exactly as did those in StarOffice -- that is, each Desktop is a folder view, the workspace icons stay with each desktop and running programs may be shared between workspaces.

Returning to this topic, anyone who saved their StarOffice5.2 multiple-desktop directories, and is 'bringing them back to life' again, in KDE, will start seeing many files that need the conversion procedures described, both in this thread, and in the Tech Republic tutorial.

In KDE, to get back what we had in StarOffice -- open an instance of the KDE Pager widget and then start adding desktops from there. Specify each folder location by pointing it at one of your old StarOffice desktop files. You can even reuse your old S.O. wallpaper files for the individual desktops. They're compatible with KDE desktops. Don't try to use KDE's Activities.

P.S.: The MS Windows 10 multiple desktops -- a total disaster, at least they are, for anyone who liked the way this StarOffice5.2 feature worked. Don't even bother.
OOo 2.0.X on Linux-Other + Windows2000 Pro, StarOffice5.2
RonCam

Postby benatwhodotnet » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:05 pm

Is this solved in 4.1.7? I cannot find the name of the Custom Setup feature needed. There is not a feature called convert or legacy or file extension support or .sdw or star office or anything I can recognize for the purpose of providing support for opening Star Office 5.x documents.
benatwhodotnet

Postby RoryOF » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:17 pm

You could install a version 3 or version 4.0.1, use it to convert _all_ your legacy .sdw files to .odt, then reinstall 4.1.7. These are available for download from the OO site.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby benatwhodotnet » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks. I didn't convert them before because I wanted to preserve the creation dates, etc. And there were soooo many to convert that I just didn't have time to commit to it.
benatwhodotnet

Postby RoryOF » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 pm

I think there is a Wizard in OpenOffice to do this - look under /File /Wizards /Document Converter

Edit: I have not investigated using the converter, but it might be that you will have to install one of the earlier versions I specified to make the particular conversions you need. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Villeroy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Recent versions of LibreOffice support these files out of the box with the default installation on Linux. I don't know exactly if legacy file formats are enabled by default for Windows but my Windows installations support it. May be I have checked this option. I don't remember.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Zizi64 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Recent versions of LibreOffice support these files out of the box with the default installation on Linux. I don't know exactly if legacy file formats are enabled by default for Windows but my Windows installations support it. May be I have checked this option. I don't remember.

My LO 6.1.6 supports these old OpenOffice file types by default. (I am sure: I did not enabled it manually.)
But my LO can only open these files, but it can not save into these (obsolete) file formats. (The .sdw output filters are removed or they are not enabled in my LO version.
It is better to use the recent version of the native, international standard ODF file formats.

sdw.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.0; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Writer