[Solved] Daily Travel Journal - template

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Daily Travel Journal - template

Postby WesternGuy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 pm

I am looking for, or trying to create a daily travel Journal template for a trip to Africa. I have been able to build part of one so far with headers and page numbers, etc., but what I would like is to have one where each page contains the same headings in the body of the page as follows...

------------------Page Headers--------------------------------

Activities:

Wildlife sightings:

Bird Sightings:

General Comments

----------------------Page Footers------------------------------------:

What I would like to happen, is that when I finish the first page, and move to the second page, that these page body headings are automatically repeated on the second page and the third page etc...Right now, the only way I can see to do this is to create a template with one page for each travel day, but this seems a bit redundant if there is someway to automatically duplicate the body headings from one page to another within the template, i.e., have the template do the duplication automatically when a new page is created, by the insertion of a page break. Any insight that any one would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WesternGuy
Last edited by WesternGuy on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office Version 3.3 on Windows 7 - 64 bit
WesternGuy

Re: Daily Travel Journal - template

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't think it's possible because you're trying to automate the insertion of content in the main text. Easy for header/footer but not for the main text since it should come from the user.

But you can make an AutoText: design your page layout, place placeholder fields if needed (so that you just have to click it to select the place to type), select the whole thing, and Edit>AutoText, give it a name, a shortcut, select the place to store it (keep My AutoText) and with the button on the right: AutoText>New.

You can make a table for that if you want the main sections to have the same place for each page (and set the row height accordingly).

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby RoryOF » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Why not make an image of your outline page, and insert it as a page background; now it will repeat from page to page. You adjust your margins and paragraph styles so that when you overtype this image your text falls in the correct place.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby WesternGuy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:21 am

Hagar, I like your idea of using AutoText. I am new to OOo so I will have to investigate this a bit more, but you have definitely given me something to think about. Thanks.

RoryOF, I am not familiar with the idea of a page image, but it is something I would like to investigate.

Folks, give me a day to review your ideas and then maybe I can mark this one as solved. Really, when I think about it, what I am doing is creating a multi-section document where every section uses the same "sub-headings" and each page or so is a new section. That is my take on it for now and maybe the AutoText is the way to do this with the least amount of hassle for me.

Thanks for both of you for stimulating my thinking on this thing.

Regards,

WesternGuy
WesternGuy

Postby acknak » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 am

My two cents: don't over-complicate it. Your trip has an itinerary, no? Just make a page and copy/paste it for the number of days that you need.

You could be fancy and make the dates adjust automatically from a starting date, but why? Is your trip going to last for months? If your trip lasts a month, that's only thirty pages to make. You can create a series of text dates in a Calc spreadsheet in a few seconds, in whatever format you like, copy/paste that into Writer and move on.

Or use a pen and paper--no need to worry about computer problems.

Don't get sidetracked trying to use features you don't really need; keep it simple. Your journal writing is what's important.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby WesternGuy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:35 am

acknak, I do understand your perspective and be assured, I am not one to over-complicate things - Occam's razor and all that...I am taking a Netbook to backup my daily digital images and have a quick edit of them, so I thought...why not use this thing (Netbook) to record a daily journal - I will certainly have enough time after the daily bush drives - dark nights, no TV or Internet - I don't want to be fancy, just have a basic "tool" for recording my daily journal. Yes, you are right, we do have an itinerary in so far as I know the camp I am going to be at on any given day, but as to the exact activities for any given day, well, they can vary considerably depending on what the various guides report from the field. The other advantage of using a computer (Netbook) is that I don't have to worry about a supply of paper or pens and I intend to back it (the Journal) up to a thumb drive every couple of days when I back up my images off the computer, but believe me - it will definitely not be fancy, and maybe your idea of just making a simple page and duplicating it would be sufficient - I think that idea and the AutoText idea both have merit and are probably both about the same amount of work in the long run.

Regards,

WesternGuy
WesternGuy

Postby RoryOF » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 am

I think Acknak's 30 duplicate page idea is a good one. I would suggest making the outline page use a blank following page, so that if your entry overflows one page it continues onto a blank page, rather than onto another template page. Have you thought of electric power for netbook and long battery life? An old fashioned ball-point pen, which should last well over 30 days, and a writing pad may in the long run weigh less than netbook and charger and long life battery. Also a pen/pad are much less likely to be lost/misappropriated in those areas.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 am

RoryOF wrote:I would suggest making the outline page use a blank following page, so that if your entry overflows one page it continues onto a blank page, rather than onto another template page.

That's why AutoText is more appropriate IMHO: it puts what you need to start the page/chapter/... (even including the page break if you include a Heading with with page break - never tried however) but it lets you do what you want afterward for the text flow. And personally I don't like very much pics in background for readability: depending on the resolution, it can be blurred.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Daily Travel Journal - template

Postby acknak » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:41 pm

You should definitely try working in OOo on the netbook before it's too late to change plans. OOo is really designed for larger screens and I know some people found it very un-comfortable on small netbooks.

As far as an itinerary, I only meant that your trip has a defined time period--it's not open-ended, not that you need to build the journal around the planned activities. You can easily make enough blank pages ahead of time; there's no(?) advantage to automatically making a new page each day.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: [Solved] Daily Travel Journal - template

Postby Anne.Curtiz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:54 pm

can make an AutoText: design your page layout,I would suggest making the outline page use a blank following page, so that if your entry overflows one page it continues onto a blank page, rather than onto another template page.
[url=http://weightmanagementreviews.com/uniquehoodia-review/]uniquehoodia review[/url]

OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Anne.Curtiz
Banned

Return to Writer