Add a new row it loses all formatting

Discuss the word processor

Add a new row it loses all formatting

Postby c0dezer0 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:27 pm

Edit: Split from Better installer for Linux 
Zizi64 wrote:My first tip:
Use LibreOffice on the Linux operating systems.

I do, but when I create a table and add a new row it loses all formatting, and workarounds don't work. My research tells me it's a bug that's been around since LibreOffice 6 and it has persisted through 7. So yeah, OO it is, or some other program.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Ubuntu 20.04.1
c0dezer0

Re: Better installer for Linux

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:41 pm

when I create a table and add a new row it loses all formatting, and workarounds don't work.

Writer textual table, or a Calc table?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:56 pm

Zizi64 wrote:
when I create a table and add a new row it loses all formatting, and workarounds don't work.

Easy to reproduce. Just add a preformatted table to a new Writer document and tab beyond the last cell. The new row is unformatted with "Text" as number format. This is one of the things they messed up completely.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby c0dezer0 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:50 pm

Zizi64 wrote:

Writer text table.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Ubuntu 20.04.1
c0dezer0

Postby Villeroy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:11 pm

And the work-around is to get the right values into the table and apply some polishing when the table content is finished.
When you create a new table that is supposed to have a header row (menu:Tables>Insert Table...), it is important to check the header option so the first row is treated differently from the subsequent data rows. Then apply some number formats (date, currency etc.) to the second row. Now you should be able to enter correct dates, times, numbers, currencies and other formatted values into the table. Nevertheless, LO will change some attributes such as alignment as you add new rows but this can be fixed with final formatting, preferable through paragraph styles.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Writer