[Solved] Chinese characters not rendered correctly in PDF

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Chinese characters not rendered correctly in PDF

Postby aaemie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:33 am

Hi,

I have an odt file which has six Chinese characters, all in the same font, Arial. I convert the file to pdf format, and open it with Firefox, or other pdf viewers. The pdf file displays the first three characters correctly, while the latter three are displayed as two boxes per character. Font statistics shows there is no font missing. Is it a problem when pdf file is generated, or when pdf file is displayed? Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
ctscreens.JPG
The left half shows the screen cut of the odt file. The right half shows that of the pdf file.
ct.pdf
The target pdf file.
(16.62 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
ct.odt
The source odt file.
(9.15 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1
aaemie

Re: Some Chinese characters not rendered correctly in pdf

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:31 am

and open it with Firefox, or other pdf viewers.

As I know it, the Firefox has not an individual PDF viewer, it uses the default PDF viewer. Maybe you have tried it with same PDF viewer...
Try it with a (really) other pdf viewer too.

Have you tried on same computer, where the document was created? If the answer is "yes", then the "missing font" is not a reason (you can not APPLY a missing font on a computer). A received document (or other foreign sources) can contain fonts properties which fonts are not present on your computer. (You can copy these properties to an another text or into an another document. That is the main reason why better to paste UNFORMATTED text from the foreign sources into your documents.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Some Chinese characters not rendered correctly in pdf

Postby aaemie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is on the same machine. I guess missing font is not the issue.

One thing I just found out, is that the first three characters are in regular character set, while the latter three are, or at least one of the three is, in unicode extension b section. It might be the reason.

I don't have the solution. Good news is, I found a workaround. LibreOffice just renders it correctly in pdf format, the way I wanted. And, wow, LibreOffice opens odt files too. Nice.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1
aaemie

Return to Writer