[Solved] Trouble when centering a paragraph

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Trouble when centering a paragraph

Postby CharlieDontSurf » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:19 am

I'm new to OpenOffice (I made the switch from MS Word), and I've encountered a problem. I want to center a specific paragraph so that it runs down the center of the page. Though the document I'm working on is not a movie script, think of it like the the dialogue in a movie script running in a centered column down the page. When I was using Word and had my alignment set to "centered", when typing out a long paragraph at some point the text would automatically drop to the next line so that the whole paragraph would be centered on the page. Now, using OpenOffice, when I set it to centered alignment and start typing, it starts out at the center of the page but if I keep typing out my paragraph, it ends up looking like a normal left-aligned paragraph, but with a deeper indent. I'll attach a sample to show what I mean.
Attachments
Untitled 1.odt
(11.67 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by CharlieDontSurf on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 running on Windows 10
CharlieDontSurf

Re: Trouble when centering a paragraph

Postby Bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:07 am

The Default paragraph style is applied to both paragraphs. The Default paragraphs style is set to align left and has no indent settings. Direct formatting has been applied to the first paragraph, setting the first line indent to .30". Direct formatting has been applied to the second paragraph, setting the first line indent to .30" and the alignment to centered. The direct formatting overrides the Default paragraph style settings. Remove the first line indent setting from the second paragraph to center the first line.
AOO 4.1.7 on Manjaro Cinnamon
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:44 am

Use different Paragraph Styles for the paragraphs what you want to format differently.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby JeJe » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:17 pm

The attached file shows centered paragraphs by having styles with left and right indents set the same (the dialogue style).
Attachments
Indented Paragraph Styles.odt
(11.43 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Openoffice 4.1.6
Windows 8
JeJe
Volunteer

Postby CharlieDontSurf » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:45 am

JeJe wrote:The attached file shows centered paragraphs by having styles with left and right indents set the same (the dialogue style).

Thanks. This is what I did, setting the "before text" and "after text" indents the same, and now it looks more or less like I wanted it to.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 running on Windows 10
CharlieDontSurf

Return to Writer