[Solved] How to open files in Mac's pages format

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] How to open files in Mac's pages format

Postby HowardJ » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 am

One of my friends sometimes sends me documents in this Mac in house format. It's some sort of zipped file. Has anyone found a quick way to get the info out?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓
AOO 4.1.2 on various machines running PCLinuxOS (LXDE desktop). It all began with StarOffice 5.2 - I've still got the disk!
HowardJ

Re: How to open files in Mac's pages format.

Postby Villeroy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:48 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pages_(word_processor)
The only known software other than Pages which can open its files are Apple's iWork productivity suite through Apple's iCloud, LibreOffice,[14] and Jumpshare.[15] Windows users can view and edit Pages files using iWork for iCloud via a web browser. The iCloud system can also read Microsoft Word files and convert Pages files to Microsoft Word format. Jumpshare can view Pages files.

LibreOffice is the actively developed successor to OpenOffice. OpenOffice is almost dead.

Install https://libreoffice.org/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby robleyd » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:44 am

Do your friend a favour and introduce them to open source office packages.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby MrProgrammer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:51 am

HowardJ wrote:One of my friends sometimes sends me documents in this Mac in house format.
Tell your friend that you cannot open a foo.pages document. They should use Pages → File → Export to → PDF and send that to you. Repeat these instructions to your friend each time you receive a document in the internal Pages format. Pages is not fully compatible with any other text document program. In particular, some features in Pages are not available in LibreOffice and some features in LibreOffice are not available in Pages. They only way for to see the document as your friend prepared it in Pages is for them to send you a PDF.

You cannot install Pages because you don't have Apple hardware. Your friend could install OpenOffice or LibreOffice though. But then they would have to learn another word processor and would have to rebuild the document in it.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby HowardJ » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks for the info.

Do your friend a favour and introduce them to open source office packages.

You can lead a horse to water but .......

To most people, sadly, anything that's free is only worth what they've paid for it!

However I guess I'm a bit the same, as an OpenOffice user since it was StarOffice 5.2 in 2000, I regard LibreOffice advocates as traitors :) .
Last edited by HowardJ on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.2 on various machines running PCLinuxOS (LXDE desktop). It all began with StarOffice 5.2 - I've still got the disk!
HowardJ

Postby RoryOF » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:43 pm

There may be (not checked) an online converter at
http://www.zamzar.com
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: How to open files in Mac's pages format. SOLVED

Postby HowardJ » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks RoryOF ZamZar works perfectly.
HowardJ

Return to Writer