[Solved] odt file opens only in ASCII format

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] odt file opens only in ASCII format

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:18 pm

hi guys I'm new to the forum.
I have been using Open Office for many years and have never had any problems.
Unfortunately I was working on an odt file (many pages), and due to a power surge now it only opens it in ascii format with incomprehensible symbols. The file still weighs 600kb as it was before.
I've already tried to zip it, nothing.
The bakup was unfortunately disabled by default.
Is there any way I can recover my text?
I hope it's possible, does some guru have extrahuman powers?
thank you
lady
:oops: ;)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on windows 8.1
ladyPink

Re: odt file opens only in ascii format

Postby robleyd » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:27 pm

Presumably the incomprehensible symbols are all # characters? That being the case, from experience, your file is completely corrupted.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:37 pm

As robleyd has pointed out, that Tutorial is your best bet.

Do not waste any time on your existing file, with the ### marks. Experience shows it will have no useful content.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:03 pm

thanks ;)
yes, if I open odt file, I see only ############
I didn't understand why he did this to me, it's late now.
Temp file there is no trace, I have no file recovery option in windows 8.1 enabled.
I wonder why the reopening of the file did not keep good the last autosave ... and wants to try to restore the part nn saved .. this is an error in my opinion.
I believe that even though the file weighs 600kb, I will no longer have my content.
I am very sad :?
ladyPink

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:08 pm

Try the methods in the Tutorial, Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it search for deleted copies of the file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:57 pm

RoryOF wrote:Try the methods in the Tutorial, Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it search for deleted copies of the file.

maybe the Recuva solution or some other software might be the only option.
Hope it can search for the deleted Temp files though.
As I said I have not deleted the original file, I still have it on the desktop; it's just corrupt.
I start to try with Recuva, and God send me good
thanks for now
ladyPink

Postby robleyd » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:12 pm

As we have said, the original file is garbage; nothing can be salvaged from it.

You might check whether you had enabled backup copies via Tools | Options | Load/Save | General - if so you may have a useful backup; if enabled, it will be found in your backup location which you can determine via Tools | Options | OpenOffice | Paths.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:28 pm

We are not joking when we say to run a recovery utility as soon as possible. Computers use empty space on the hard drives for various forms of temporary storage. The more use one makes of a computer, for whatever purpose, the greater the likelihood that any temporary storage used for your damaged file will be overwritten.
RoryOF

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:54 pm

robleyd wrote:As we have said, the original file is garbage; nothing can be salvaged from it.

You might check whether you had enabled backup copies via Tools | Options | Load/Save | General - if so you may have a useful backup; if enabled, it will be found in your backup location which you can determine via Tools | Options | OpenOffice | Paths.

backup is not enabled, I wonder why it wasn't so by default :ucrazy:
ladyPink

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 pm

RoryOF wrote:We are not joking when we say to run a recovery utility as soon as possible. Computers use empty space on the hard drives for various forms of temporary storage. The more use one makes of a computer, for whatever purpose, the greater the likelihood that any temporary storage used for your damaged file will be overwritten.

I tried recova, but since it is not a deleted file I do not find anything significant (the power failure occurred 4 days ago, even if in any case I reopened the odt only this morning since then)
:knock:

I was screwed this time :oops:

I try to review the AOO tutorial, but it will be tough ...
ladyPink

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:24 pm

in the tutorial I see that it says to search files with this name:
sv2ju1mk.tmp \ sv2ju21c.tmp

I haven't checked this, now I see if I have files starting with sv2ju
it would be great luck
ladyPink

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:48 pm

ladyPink wrote:in the tutorial I see that it says to search files with this name:
sv2ju1mk.tmp \ sv2ju21c.tmp
I haven't checked this, now I see if I have files starting with sv2ju
it would be great luck

miracle happened, in the Temp folder there was an sv folder, with many sv2xxxx.tmp files inside.
All related to the last time I had closed that file, I renamed odt the one weighing 600kb and it opened.
Luckily the various tests on some odt files of today did not overwrite these tmp files, it seems almost incredible that there were only files from that day, and not today ...
it went well, thanks for the help

:super: 8-) :super:
ladyPink

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:38 pm

You should also consider installing the timed/dated backup extension which can be downloaded from

http://flowcont.hu/LO_oxt_store/oxt/timeStampBackup_v1-2-0.oxt

Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] odt file opens only in ASCII format

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:39 pm

thank you.
It may also be enough to have enabled the bakup, which I have now done. And next time I intervene immediately: I have the file in the bakup folder, or in the temp files.
I spent a few hours of terror, but now I'm happy
;-)
ladyPink

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:03 pm

The backup overwrites the last backup, so if a file fails you can also lose the backup. Best to install and use the timed dated backup to which I pointed, as this allows a continuing series of backups.
RoryOF

Postby ladyPink » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:03 pm

thanks rory.
if the question is like this then I really evaluate this new solution, it seems safer to me (but I leave the internal bakup enabled anyway)
very kind, thanks again :super:
ladyPink

Return to Writer