Numeration problem after saving DOCX file

Discuss the word processor

Numeration problem after saving DOCX file

Postby needhelpthanks1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:31 pm

I am having an issue with numeration resetting after I save the document. When I reopen the document after making the numeration it keeps changing back to previous font and size for random ones.... is there a way to easily change the font size and type for numeration for the whole document without having to reapply? Any idea why it resets when saving and reopening?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changes subject, was: Numeration Issue
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
needhelpthanks1

Re: Numeration Issue

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:28 am

I suppose it, that you use a foreign (obsolete?) file format. You always will lose some formatting properties when you convert your documents into a foreign file formats (after edinting them in the AOO/LO).

Always use tha anetive, international (ISO) standard ODF file formats.

If it happened with an ODF type file, then please give us more details, and please upload an ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby needhelpthanks1 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:21 pm

I guess the problem with that is they need to be in docx format to be opened by a mac user using Pages.

I am saving it as the format and then doing the formatting edits and saving again. Then upon reopening the issue occurs.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
needhelpthanks1

Postby RoryOF » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:22 pm

If that person does not need to edit, work in .odt format and use /File /Export as PDF, sending the resulting PDF file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Numeration problem after saving DOCX file

Postby needhelpthanks1 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:55 pm

They will have to be able to edit it. I just do not understand the problem of AFTER I save the file that was correctly formatted it changes random things about the formatting after re-opening. I would like to just be able to select font style and font size for all numbering across the whole document and then re-save it and see if that fixes anything. Is that somehow possible?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
needhelpthanks1

Postby Zizi64 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:39 am

I guess the problem with that is they need to be in docx format to be opened by a mac user using Pages.

I am saving it as the format and then doing the formatting edits and saving again. Then upon reopening the issue occurs.

You can not save your documents into .docx file format with the Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 version. It can not save the documents into the OOXML file formats.
Are you using the LibreOffice now? It can save into the OOXML file formats.

Note: there is not (never was and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different file formats. You always will lose some formatting properties when you save your documents into a foreign file format.
Use the native .odt file format.
Otherwise the LibreOffice exists for Mac too. If everybody can install a free PDF Reader software to read or print the standardized PDF file format documents, then everybody can install a free, opensource Editor software for opening and to edit the real ISO standard file type documents.

Can you upload two sample file here? (One in the native file format - to see what you want to achieve, and an another one in the converted file format to see the issue.)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:18 am

If they can read .docx format, almost certainly they can read .doc format, which OpenOffice does support reasonably well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby needhelpthanks1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Sorry, I was using the .doc format actually. I have attached the files... in the native format you can see that the bullets are 14 pt Times New Roman. When I save it to .doc and reopen it changes the size to 10... on my main bigger files it does much more wacky stuff to these. I need to be able to easily format these across a very long document to the correct character style and have it remain. The thing is even when I correct it in the .doc file it still does wacky stuff upon saving and reopening it. Driving my nuts :knock:
Attachments
Sample 2.doc
Messed up version.
(28 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Sample 2.odt
Working as intended.
(21.08 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
needhelpthanks1

Postby RoryOF » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:27 pm

A quick inspection suggests both files display identically on my computer. Check that your display scale is the same for both files. Set the same number in % box at bottom right of OO Window, or on /View /Zoom.
RoryOF

Postby needhelpthanks1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:41 pm

You don't see the doc file as having numbering that is a smaller font than the odf? It's 10 pt instead of 14 pt.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
needhelpthanks1

Postby RoryOF » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:44 pm

To visual inspection, when both files were displayed at the same magnification, they were identical. I checked several (not all) of the lines and they showed as 14 pt. Perhaps someone else will comment?
RoryOF

Postby needhelpthanks1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:48 pm

I hope so because that is even more bizarre that it would be displaying the numbering as 10 pt rather than 14 pt on my end but not on yours...
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
needhelpthanks1

Postby Zizi64 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:30 pm

I can see the difference: I just opened the .odt version in my LO 6.2.8, and the .doc version in my AOO 4.1.7 portable:

LO_odt_AOO_doc.png
Click on the picture for a better view.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Zizi64 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:51 pm

There are many strange things in the documents:

- The .odt version was converted or edited in WW8 format too. There are a lot of WW8 Style in the Character style list, and the Numbering style list.
- The font property of the Paragrapgh style "Body" contains the font type "Helvetica Neue", what is not present on my PC (tested by the Testfonts extension). It will be substituted by an unknown font.
- The character size and the font type is overwritten by some manual formatting properties
Size: 11 -> 14, Font: Helvetica Neue -> Times New Roman. (Tested by Ctrl-A, Ctrl-M)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:57 pm

I am seeing the problem. The odt file has 109 list styles and about 150 character styles for .doc export (the style names start with "ww8"), but only one list style and character style are needed for this document. Getting rid of all the unnecessary list and character styles might solve the problem and, in the future, applying named list styles instead of using the numbering button on the toolbar might also help .

When I used AOO 4.1.7 to save the .odt file as a .doc file, only the first 7 list files were exported which did not include any of the list styles used in the .odt file. The original file used the ww8num11 list style and the ww8num11z0 character style which specifies the 14pt font. In the saved .doc file, the list style was changed to ww8num5 and the Character Style was changed to ww8num5z0 which specifies the 10pt font.

When I did the same thing using LibreOffice 6.3, the results were similar, but the font in the ww8num5 was changed from 10pt to 14pt.
AOO 4.1.7 on Manjaro Cinnamon
Bill
Volunteer

Return to Writer