[Solved} Page Number Count and TOC

Discuss the word processor

[Solved} Page Number Count and TOC

Postby ScarletNoble » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:13 am

Hi everyone!

I have used Open Office for a while now but I only really used it to write short stories. Now, I'm trying to write a chapter book. In doing so, I want to add a title page and a table of contents. However, I run into a problem when adding page counts. I know how to make it to where there's no page count on the title page but not on the table of contents page too. Help?
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.6
Dell G5 15
Windows 10 Home
ScarletNoble

Re: Page Number Count and TOC

Postby FJCC » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:04 am

Having page numbers on a page should be controlled with the page style. To have pages with and without the page number you need to have at least two page styles. I will explain the process assuming you want to have a page style for the title page, another for the TOC and another for the body of the book.
You should first bring up the list of page styles and make one for the TOC. Select the menu item Format -> Styles and Formatting and a small dialog will appear. It will have five small icons near the top left. Click on the fourth one from the left, which is for page styles. Set the drop down list at the bottom of the window to say All so that all styles are shown. Right click on the Default style and select New. Give the new style a name on the organizer tab, say TOC, and change any settings you want to.
Right click on the Default style again and select Modify. On the Footer or Header tab, turn on the footer or header.
Go to the first page of your document and then double click on the First Page style in the Formatting and Styles dialog. This will apply that style to that page.
Place the cursor at the end of the text on the first page and select the menu item Insert -> Manual Break. Set the Type to Page Break and set the style to the newly defined one. You will now have a page for your TOC.
Go to the end of the text on the TOC page and again select Insert -> Manual Break. Set the Type to Page Break and set the Style to Default. All of the text after the TOC will now have the Default page style.
On any page with the Default page style, place the cursor within the header or footer and use the menu Insert -> Fields to make a Page Number field.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: Page Number Count and TOC

Postby ScarletNoble » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:25 am

Thank you so much! Your solution worked!
Open Office 4.1.6
Dell G5 15
Windows 10 Home
ScarletNoble

Return to Writer