Get rid of too many periods, like .......

Discuss the word processor

Get rid of too many periods, like .......

Postby jimsey » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:21 pm

I am running Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10. I often have word processing files where there are too many periods [i.e., the mark . ] between words or sets of numbers. In previous editions of Open Office I simply searched for two or more periods and replaced them with something else, perhaps one period. Now I find that searching on two periods identifies any two spaces in the text. How can I search for extra periods and replace them with something else? For example, I might want to change "xx......xx" to "xx.xx". [Just to be clear, by the word “periods” I am talking about the diacritical mark used to end a sentence.]
Open Office 4.0.0 installed on Windows 8
jimsey

Re: Get rid of too many periods, like .......

Postby FJCC » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:41 pm

I can search for
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
\.{2,}

and replace with a single period if select Regular Expressions in the More Options section of the Find & Replace dialog.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: Get rid of too many periods, like .......

Postby John_Ha » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:52 pm

jimsey wrote:Now I find that searching on two periods identifies any two spaces in the text.

Because you have ticked Regular Expressions in the More Options. Untick it.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer