Document went away and now have XXXXX's HELP

Discuss the word processor

Document went away and now have XXXXX's HELP

Postby mandymld » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:22 am

Just downloaded an update from Open Office and one of my documents is now all xxxxxxxxxxx, all of it is gone and I can't get another copy until I am back to work in two weeks and it is supposed to be turned in at that time.
Open Office 4 .1.5 Microsoft Windows 10 MLDudley
mandymld

Re: Document went away and now have XXXXX's HELP

Postby RusselB » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:01 am

Welcome to the Forums.
Are you sure you mean XXXXXXXXXXX and not #########
In either case, I suspect the same reasoning, namely a file that is corrupted beyond the point of recovery.
See The Dreaded Pound Sign
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RoryOF » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:51 am

Possibly damage due to over-hasty power-off of computer or closure of laptop lid, before the OO housekeeping has been written to disk.

Try the methods in this tutorial
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

Waste no time with your existing file; there will be nothing usable in it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby mandymld » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:57 am

Thank you to all who offered help, and yes it was hash tags not z's I had been in the middle of saving it when my laptop suddenly restarted after my download which is a whole other situation as I didn't request it to do so. I had expected it to save to my hard drive or to at least be able to retrieve the document from where I had saved it last, however it corrupted all the data. Thankfully I had brought the document home on a thumb drive. It means redoing all the work, but at least it means that I won't have to go to my office.
Open Office 4 .1.5 Microsoft Windows 10 MLDudley
mandymld

Postby John_Ha » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:32 pm

mandymld wrote:... when my laptop suddenly restarted after my download which is a whole other situation as I didn't request it to do so.

Expletive expletive expletive Microsnot. :crazy: :crazy:
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:33 pm

mandymld wrote:Thank you to all who offered help, and yes it was hash tags not z's I had been in the middle of saving it when my laptop suddenly restarted after my download which is a whole other situation as I didn't request it to do so. I had expected it to save to my hard drive or to at least be able to retrieve the document from where I had saved it last, however it corrupted all the data. Thankfully I had brought the document home on a thumb drive. It means redoing all the work, but at least it means that I won't have to go to my office.

Any download should not cause a computer restart. The obvious candidates are:

a Windows 10 update; these can occur at arbitrary times and are notorious for taking over the computer, silently aborting any process in progress, corrupting any open file and proceeding to a reboot.

a power cut - most often a battery of a laptop running low and the low power warning having been ignored by the User

sometimes a memory leak - a computer that has been left on for days suddenly running out of resources. Computers that are on for long periods normally have their resources closely monitored and may use "hardened" operating systems to permit such long term use.

Murphy's Law - "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:43 pm

RoryOF wrote:Murphy's Law - "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

John_Ha's Law: "The only problem with Murphy was that he was an incurable optimist". It is well know that even things which cannot possibly go wrong do go wrong.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:15 pm

mandymld wrote: It means redoing all the work, but at least it means that I won't have to go to my office.

Look as Tools > Options > Load/Save > General..., and tick Always create a backup copy.

If the document has images be cautious about ticking Save AutoRecovery - see Item 16 Case 2 in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif

John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer