Custom Colors Lost on Upgrade

Discuss the word processor

Custom Colors Lost on Upgrade

Postby m13m13 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:12 pm

I read a post that seemed to be asking something similar, but I couldn't see the solution.

I'm not even sure what happened. My computer had been locking up Writer and Calc quite a bit recently. I guess it got so bad something happened to reset it. Anyway, after I had to forcefully shut down my computer because none of the OO docs I was working on would respond, it asked me to tell it my profile name when I got everything back up and running. But I noticed right away that a bunch of things about the program's behavior had changed -like preferences for spellchecking, toolbars floating when they had been docked, etc. So I think I got most of the stuff put back how I had it, but I just noticed that all the custom colors I had set up were gone.

I just wanted to know if there is a SIMPLE (or at least straightforward) way to get them back. It's quite upsetting to not have access to the colors I spent a lot of time creating. I don't want to have to start from scratch. I'm not even sure I could do that, if it's my only option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OpenOffice 4.0.0 on Windows 7
m13m13

Re: Custom Colors Lost on Upgrade

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:23 pm

When one force shuts a computer OpenOffice does not write its housekeeping to disk and the current OO User Profile may be lost. On next startup it creates a new User Profile, and can carry nothing over from the old, as it is gone. If you have a backup image of the disk it may be possible to recover the old profile.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:26 pm

All customisation is held in the User Profile which is in the folders held in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\. They are hidden files. Check the date of yours or whether you have an old copy.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:26 pm

The file for colors is standard.soc.

It's always a good idea to have a backup of your profile for such case. Or at least save the shortcuts and toolbars configurations.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby Zizi64 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:52 pm

The newer versions of the LibreOffice have a new feature: Import-Export color palette.
And there is an extension for manage it:
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/exte ... ette-eport
You can archive, share your custom palette by usage of this extension. It works with LibreOffice 5.3 and higher versions.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.0; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby m13m13 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:54 pm

I found that standard.soc file per your directions. It says it was created in 2014 and edited today. I don't know if that means anything necessarily, though, because for some really mysterious reason ALL of my OO files get the same "Date modified" date on them every couple weeks, unless I have actually modified them since that overall date. Right now they all say "11-30-19."

What would someone do with that .soc file, assuming it contains the desired data?
m13m13

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:55 pm

If you've edited it for custom colors, it should have a different creation date I think. So if you see only that file created in 2014, I fear that it is the one created with a new profile.
Try to check if there is another standard.soc file with a different date. But if a new profile has been recreated, it has likely overwritten the previous files.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby RoryOF » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:06 pm

The file may be opened on each activation of OO, and the "accessed date" misread as a modification date by the system utility that reports the file dates.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby m13m13 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:24 am

RoryOF wrote:The file may be opened on each activation of OO, and the "accessed date" misread as a modification date by the system utility that reports the file dates.

That sounds quite logical to me. I'd feel better knowing that Open Office is doing it rather than the operating system. It's still rather upsetting; it takes away my ability to search for a file using the last edited date.
m13m13

Return to Writer