Setting Paths dont stick

Discuss the word processor

Setting Paths dont stick

Postby WaldemarS » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:28 pm

Hello...

New to this forum and OO.
In setting up the products within OO i want to use the writer, the spreadsheet, and the presentation pieces.

For each product, I set the path in tools -->options to users/Username/folder name e.g users/Mike/documents (for writer) or spreadsheet for calc and Powerpoint for presentations.

When I use open in writer, the first time I get the documents folder with all subfolders in it showing. good as expected.

when I launch calc, and use the file open, I am pointed to the documents folder not the spreadsheet one. When I check the path in here again, it now shows as documents and not spreadsheets as was set up prior. so I change it here and save it, then open up writer again and this time it points to spreadsheets folder and not the documents folder.

So what ever the last product in the suite I used, and saved to or had the path pointing to, is where any other product in the suite wants to open a file from that subfolder the next time and not the one it is supposed to. .

What is going on and how do I fix this?

thanks for any help you can offer.

cheers!
W
Open Office 4.17 Windows 10 1903
WaldemarS

Re: setting Paths dont stick

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:11 am

For each product, I set the path in tools -->options to users/Username/folder name e.g users/Mike/documents (for writer) or spreadsheet for calc and Powerpoint for presentations.

There is only one path set for the whole integrated office suite. You can not adjust the paths for the applications differently.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.0; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby WaldemarS » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:41 am

Hi Tibor...

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Well that's not very good. It makes sense to be able to store document, spreadsheets, and presentation together in like named folders so that when I use a specific program e.g. the writer, I want all my documents to go to a documents folder not be all mixed in with spreadsheets and presentations.

I was able to do precisely this using Microsoft Office where Word, excel, and PPoint would all go to separate folders and when using any of the programs it would know where to look for the appropriate files. The fact that OO doesn't allow for this is pretty short sighted in my opinion.

Once again, thank you for your help.
WaldemarS

Postby RusselB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:49 am

Your options are to suffer with how OpenOffice does it, try another program (you already noted that M$Office allows this), or edit the code to allow the setting of specific folders for specific types of files.
The nice thing about Open Source software, is the fact that you have the legal ability to make modifications like that, presuming you have the ability.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RoryOF » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 am

One could make an extension to intercept a Save As request, parse the file name to check the extension, then redirect the Save operation to an extension specific folder. A trivial task if one required this functionality.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Setting Paths dont stick

Postby WaldemarS » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:40 am

Hi All...

thanks for your suggestions. But first , I am an end user and not a developer so creating my own extensions to the code is not an option. I decided to stick with MS office as it does all I need albeit just a tad more costly than OO.

cheers and Happy New year to you all.
WaldemarS

Postby RoryOF » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:09 am

Most of us are end users also, not programmers. When I needed a custom macro to do a regular task, I set to and learned how to write it. You could do likewise, or, as you have done, pay money for something where the functionality you need is available. Your choice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Lupp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:18 pm

I decided to stick with MS office as it does all I need albeit just a tad more costly than OO.

I would suggest you consider if "... a tad more costly than OO..." is the central viewpoint concerning such a decision.

In fact the term "Free and Open Source Software" (FOSS) doesn't use "free" in the sense of "at no charge" or "free of ..." (something like lice), but with the fundamental meaning also "freedom" is baseed on. It' is
- free of attempts to lock-in users or to press them in any way
- free of any "vendor's" interests
- only ruled by the intention of offering good quality for conscious users
- and, yes, also free of charge basically and forever.

Concerning the specific feature you are missing:

It might, of course, be easily implemented, but few users will be interested. I couldn't even find (the quick way) a respective feature request.

For MS Office it's different: There isn't a single OfficeApp, but there are separate Apps using separate settings. AOO and LibO and ...(?) are "monolithic": It's always the same program running. Using the specialized s___.exe starters doesn't change that. Basically they only start the application with an initial new document of the respective type. This approach has many advantages.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.2 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:27 pm

A very simple way to achieve the same effect is to make a number of folders under the My Documents folder, each named according to the file type you wish to Save in it. Then, when you use /File/ Save As, you need one click to select the correct folder for the file type you are generating.

Is one click for each file too much trouble?
RoryOF

Return to Writer