Text frame always appears left click, on one file only

Discuss the word processor

Text frame always appears left click, on one file only

Postby Forus Traded » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Long document, Windows 10. File is source Apache from a few years ago (sorry that's all I know). Third party remote techs tried to scam me so I backed up my files and had my laptop reset and checked for trojans ect and uninstalled/reinstalled all programs, The techs decided to install Libreoffice writer instead of Apache. I copied all my files to PC and so far only one long doc is doing this. I want to edit like I did in my old Apache by left clicking next to the text and backspacing or highlighting or any other command on right click.

I went to Libreoffice forum to ask about this same issue, and got hammered because I asked a question and was told it was not concise or a good question (I hope it doesn't happen here as well as my first question on Libre blog the way I was spoken to and belittled is the main reason I am here). So in the end I got no answer and foolishly thinking it was a Libreoffice issue and wanting my old familiar program back I uninstalled Libre and installed Apache and the exact same thing happens...and only to this one file (so far). Spent four days searching forums and tried about five fixes but to no avail. Also using user guides and trial and error but nothing I have done will stop this text frame from appearing along the line of text I wish to change. It has a blue boundary and three green dots either end and two dots in the center. top and bottom of frame.

Is there a way to stop, disable or reset to original settings? Thank you for any help..I appreciate it.
Attachments
Text frame in Apache Open Office image.jpg
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Forus Traded

Re: Text frame always appears left click, on one file only

Postby RoryOF » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Was this document prepared from OCR (Optical Character Recognition) of another document? What happens if you open Navigator (F5 key)? Does it show many Frames if you click the black triangle beside the frame entry?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:53 am

How do you know it's a text frame? Is the border always visible or does it only appear after you left click? Does the text frame always appear exactly where you left click or does it only appear at one specific place in the document no matter where you left click?
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:55 am

Please upload a small file - just that page will be fine - showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.3.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Forus Traded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:08 am

RoryOF wrote:Was this document prepared from OCR (Optical Character Recognition) of another document? What happens if you open Navigator (F5 key)? Does it show many Frames if you click the black triangle beside the frame entry?

Hi Rory thanks for taking a look at this...I don't know the answer if it was prepared from OCR but copied quite a few times . When I open the navigator there is no black triangle. Text frames shows a rectangle inside another rectangle and a small minus to the left.
Forus Traded

Postby Forus Traded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:40 am

Bill wrote:How do you know it's a text frame? Is the border always visible or does it only appear after you left click? Does the text frame always appear exactly where you left click or does it only appear at one specific place in the document no matter where you left click?

Hi Bill. I really have no clue what it is and what I suspect it is could very well be incorrect. The frame appears where I left click and covers the sentence on that line only. I can expand or contract the boarder and shift the sentence on the page sometimes. I am not very experienced using word processors or PC's and this is causing me a lot of pain and fear Because when I am asked to give you the required info...even the simplest of tasks is not simple if I don't understand...the terminology, the features etc. I was hoping I could fluke a fix and tried over a four day period, but it ended up defeating me and I had to either give up or come here.
Forus Traded

Postby RoryOF » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am

An uploaded sample file - the one page only - would quickly sort this.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Forus Traded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:39 am

RoryOF wrote:An uploaded sample file - the one page only - would quickly sort this.

I am trying please have patience...I have the image of the page and uploaded it to Google Drive and now I am trying to work out what to do with it...Upload attachment?
Forus Traded

Postby RoryOF » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:45 am

Not an image, please! Take your file, make a copy of it, and delete the pages before/after the page in question; then upload that to the Forum. The upload tab is below the Submit button on Full Editor and Post Reply screens.
RoryOF

Postby Forus Traded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:54 am

RoryOF wrote:Not an image, please! Take your file, make a copy of it, and delete the pages before/after the page in question; then upload that to the Forum. The upload tab is below the Submit button on Full Editor and Post Reply screens.

The file has 17 pages and it doesn't matter which page I left click as when I do the frame appears on that line of text..so it can be any page but my problem is if I click in the grey area pouitside of the page the frame disappears but as soon as I click on any line of text on the page the frame returns and that is what i want to stop happening..so I can add or edit text without the frame. I hope I am making sense.
Forus Traded

Postby RoryOF » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Then please give us any page.
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Forus Traded wrote:When I open the navigator there is no black triangle. Text frames shows a rectangle inside another rectangle and a small minus to the left.

I don't know what "rectangle inside another rectangle" means.

The small minus sign to the left of "Text frames" is an indicator that the list of text frames is open. Clicking the minus sign should collapse the list and change the minus sign to a plus sign. Windows uses plus and minus signs to open and collapse the lists. Other operating systems use black triangles for the same purpose.

Are there many text frames listed in the Navigator? What happens if you double-click one of the frames in the list?

Note: Since no one knows what is happening with your document, always try any suggestions on a copy of the document, never on the original.
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:01 pm

The text appears to be in text boxes that were inserted using the Text tool on the Drawing toolbar. However, this is a tool that I've never used, so I can't tell you how or even if there is an easy way to convert to regular test. Someone else may have a useful suggestion.
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:58 pm

There are some possible solutions here:

Select text from multiple text boxes to copy all at once
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:54 pm

@Forus Traded: Is your document a Writer document or a Draw document? Was it created by importing a PDF file? I imported a PDF file into LibreOffice and LO imported it in Draw with each line of text in a separate Text box. The behavior of this document exactly matches your description of the behavior of your document.
Bill
Volunteer

Return to Writer