[Solved] OpenOffice Font Question

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] OpenOffice Font Question

Postby kenmorgan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Here's a simple question. I hope it's a simple answer! :)

How do I download and install for OpenOffice the following font to join the other fonts that are currently there:

Times New Roman

Thanks so much.

Ken
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
CentOS 6 Linux
Native Apache Open Office 4.1.3
kenmorgan

Re: OpenOffice Font Question

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm

In linux install ttf-mscorefonts-installer. I cannot say for Windows.

Edit: OpenOffice only detects fonts when it opens, so if one installs a font when OO is already open, it will not be seen by OO until OO is restarted. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Zizi64 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:49 pm

The font Times New Roman is a commercial product of the Microsoft.

I suggest you to use the really free and opensource, multiplatform ttf fonts boundled to the LibreOffice:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... rror=netix
https://portableapps.com/apps/office/li ... e_portable
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.0; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby kenmorgan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Zizi, but I have Times New Roman on my other CentOS 6 computer, and I like its looks.

Hi Rory, it's been a while! I remember when you and Acknak really helped me when I was writing my book back in 2012.

But now back to my current problem. Unfortunately, it's been a number of years since I've done anything like you suggest. If you could perhaps give me a list of directions, it would be most appreciated. :?

Ken
CentOS 6 Linux
kenmorgan

Postby keme » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:29 pm

The solution is the MS core fonts installer as mentioned by RoryOF.

You may need to allow "restricted-license" packages and possibly add a repository to your package manager first, depending on which choices you made when installing. From my experience, CentOS package management is best handled using yum on the command line.

Haven't got a CentOS install at the moment, so I can't give you any specifics. Search for "mscorefonts centos yum" to find step by step directions.
keme
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:54 pm

I can't be specific for CentOS, but for the Ubuntus one simply types
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

in a terminal. There is presumably a similar command line installer for CentOS. My memory is that one must use the command line because of the agreement, which can hide behind a gui install.

A licence agreement pops up, which you must accept, then the install happens.

You could then transfer the fonts from your linux machine to your windows machine, as you would transfer any other file, then install on the Windows machine using Control Panel / Fonts.

My memory is that Microsoft have unrestricted the licencing in some way, but I could be wrong. linux font tinos is metrically compatible with Times New Roman.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby kenmorgan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks keme. I think that's going to be helpful.

(With tongue in cheek--) Rory, how could you say such a thing? Accusing me of having a windows machine! :shock:

Now for my real response-- :lol:

But as a matter of fact, I am strictly and exclusively Linux CentOS ! And thanks for the additional help. I'll try that and will be back in tough.

Ken
CentOS 6 Linux
kenmorgan

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:27 pm

In haste I thought your Forum .sig showed both a CentOS and a Windows machine. I am glad you have reached a state of enlightenment.
RoryOF

Postby kenmorgan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:18 pm

:lol:

I really like humor, Rory!

Actually, I've been a devotee of Linux for many years. It was probably in the early 80s when I switched.

Now about the problem I had. I did the research about getting the Times New Roman font from the outside. But then my brain all of a sudden started to function. :knock: Why not just transfer the msttcore directory from the one computer to the other! ;) One of the many nice things about Linux is that our two computers can be networked.

That did the trick. :bravo:

Thanks again for all your help.

Ken
CentOS 6 Linux
kenmorgan

Return to Writer