[Solved] TOC splits chapter titles into 2 lines

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] TOC splits chapter titles into 2 lines

Postby nite hawk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:51 am

I am trying to finish formatting a book and now am down to the table of contents. I had no problems putting a table of contents into the book, however it split the chapter title into 2 sections like this---
Chapter-3-------------------- 25
Tango and Giants-----------25

instead of

Chapter-3-Tango and Giants ---25

and it did that with the 30 plus chapters. There was plenty of room for everything to go on one line..
I tried Adjusting the title chapter title, and it didn't work..
and I went through a bunch of youtube videos looking for solutions and their TOC was the same as what has happened to mine..
Should I just uncheck the manual edit and just manually fix everything, or is there a better way to automatically edit it?
thanks!!!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Re: TOC splits chapter titles into 2 lines

Postby Bill » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:19 am

I'm not going to try guessing about this one without a sample document.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby keme » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:22 am

@nite hawk (elaborating on Bill's response): Please attach a sample of your work in progress, either attached to your original posting (edit it) or to a reply posting. There is an "upload attachment" tab in the tools area below the edit pane.

If this is the same book you posted about recently, it will most likely be too large to attach in full. Make a sample copy from it, deleting all but the first few paragraphs of the first few chapters, and it should be sufficient for diagnostic purposes. Check that it still displays the issue (update the ToC) before submitting.

Note: DO make a copy first of all, before you start deleting. We would not want to cause any loss in your work ;-)
keme
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:25 pm

We have been going around in circles with the queries from Nite Hawk. All his queries could have been resolved in a small number of posts if we had been given a sample document.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:37 pm

If the chapter titles are displayed in the Table of Contents as shown, then the Chapter-N line and the Chapter title are both in the same Heading style (probably Heading 1).

If the Chapter Title is in a different Heading style (Say Heading 2), it will be shown indented, as in the attached file. It is possible to adjust settings to drop the page number from the Chapter-N line as I have done; I am not certain if it is possible to automatically insert the Chapter title to the same line as the Chapter-N line (haven't time to sort this out now).
Attachments
Chapter_Title.odt
(12.43 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:15 pm

This topic may help: [Tutorial] "In-line" or "run-in" headings (macro available at the end).

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby nite hawk » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:46 am

thanks
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Return to Writer